Black Hills mule deer?

VAspeedgoat

I have a couple of Wyoming der preference points and am considering hunting the black hills of region a for mule deer. I have heard that this region had a lot of deer but they are mostly whitetails. I am not above shooting a nice whitetail but really want a mule deer. Any thoughts or suggestions about mule deer in the region would be appreciated.

The main reason I was wanting to stay with this region was the later deason dates. This would help me finish up harvest and my kids football season. Therefor making the trip less of a hastle to others. Thoughts?

Hey bud,

I have turkey hunted that region a lot over the years and it has a decent deer herd its about 75% whitetails. I have not hunted it much in the fall so I cant attest to the quality of the deer in the area. If your after mule deer in that later season id say keep your WY points and look north to MT or SD. Cash the WY points in later on great unit.

If you want to hunt the black hills - go to SD. >>>If you have WYO points, do as above and would keep building them, researching a great mule deer spot for a great mule deer hunt.

At the very least, good luck and god hunting~

Pretty certain that blackhills SD tag is tough to draw.With that in mind and later season dates that you need I'd go hunt the rut in Montana.Build points in Wy and theres a couple good muley units with late season dates

SD Black Hills will take a few points to draw for rifle, but the state has an OTC statewide archery tag that can be used there.

Mule deer are there but it can be hit or miss. Plenty of areas with high densities of mule deer, although there are also areas with little to none. As someone said above, the estimates are 75% are whitetails. This is from my experience on the SD side, which I assume is the same on the WY side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back