Goat meat options

I would take a pressure canner and can it on the road. Makes any meat tender! Throw in a few peppers and a clove of garlic. Should make good enchiladas etc...

I hope I get to suffer thru eating one some day! :)
I was also going to suggest pressure canning, but I've never tried it. My friend said the hardest part about bear hunting is finding someone to take the meat more than once. I guess the same is true with goat meat.

I was also going to suggest pressure canning, but I've never tried it. My friend said the hardest part about bear hunting is finding someone to take the meat more than once. I guess the same is true with goat meat.

I can a bunch of spring bear up every spring. Having burritos with some tonight! Great stuff IMO.

Before the canner....

I just can't imagine Mt Goat not canning up well if the meat is well cared for but I've never eaten any. I did eat a bighorn ram and he was tough but had good flavor. Would have been a good one to can...

I might have a few goat steaks at the bottom of the freezer from 8 yrs. ago, should be just right. Anybody pays shipping I'll send them your way.:D

Keep all of the meat. On thing I've learned travelling around the big blue marble is that almost anything can be made to be tasty. Goat is especially good when ground up and spiced in a concoction called Kubide. (Not sure how it's spelled but it's delicious). I will fish around and find the recipe and post it for you. All you need is some spices and a meat grinder. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Thought I would update this thread now that I've eaten 3 meals from the goat that I shot.

While I was on my elk hunt a friend ground 90% of my goat into hamburger. I had 1 backstrap left for steaks. She said that she would have expected it to take about 30 minutes to grind that much meat into hamburger, but it took her a full 5 hours. She said you had to force every ounce through the grinder.

With that said we have now eaten goat spaghetti, goat chili and goat soft tacos and all have been very good. I think it's because the flavor is fine, and with it already ground into hamburger you don't have to actually chew it.

I haven't tried the backstrap steaks yet. I'm sure those will be tough but I wanted to try it.

Not sure if it is because my goat was a 3 1/2 year old or maybe he was just a lazy goat or something, but we just ate backstrap steaks last night and they were really quite good. I did hammer them with a tenderizing mallet before grilling them, but I was expecting to still be gnawing on them for hours, but they weren't any tougher than regular deer to me. Good flavor too. My wife and 7 year old son both thought they were good too.

Sounds like I just got lucky.

Not really useful advice for you now I guess npaden, since you've already processed your Mountain Goat. But I've taken two old Billies and processed them myself. I made very little burger. Mostly steaks, roasts and jerky. It's all good. Roasts are the most tender way to do it up, as long as you prepare it correctly. The steaks from the backstraps and filets are almost (but not quite) as tender as any venison I've eaten. Just have to be sure and cut out every last trace of silverskin, then wrap in bacon and grill rare to medium-rare.

My initial try was also encouraging, 8-1/2 year old billie a few weeks ago. I guess it helped to have low expectations. I cut a tenderloin into small steaks, and also two steaks off a backstrap, grilled medium rare. Flavor was very good, I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. My wife even commented that it was very good, and she's a tough customer. For a tenderloin it was not exactly tender, but not tough either. The backstrap was a bit more chewy, but not tough, just needed a good knife. So I'll be trying some more steaks before I grind up the whole thing.

glad some of you are finding success in preparing your goat meat. Mine still sits in the freezer as the backstrap was the worst damn food I've ever eaten. I think I'll take it to the processor to be ground into breakfast sausage and pepperoni and hope for the best.

I've ate about ten pounds off mine so far, and honestly it isn't that bad. No question it's tough, I tried grilling backstraps and that was edible, but man it was a jaw workout. It's got a very mild flavor, and the burger has been great.

I've got a big chunk of roast I'm going to try corning here soon, about five pounds of stew meat to mess around with, and a whole backstrap in the freezer. Not sure what the backstraps going to be. Was thinking of smoking it, but it's way too tough for that.

I sent a chunk of backstrap and some burger to California yesterday, so hopefully that chef will share what he finds works on it.

It's not whitetail or antelope by a long shot, but I definitely prefer it to some bull elk I've ate.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back