PEAX Equipment

14 Yr. old Girl With MT 123 Ram tag needs help!

sra61

I have a friend that knows a 14 yr old girl that drew a Unit 123 ram tag. Here Dad is working in North Dakota like so many other NW Mt. folks, so it's basically just her and her Mom. They are having a hard time I guess. I told my buddy i would put a post here to see if there was anything someone could do to help her out. I've never hunted sheep and have never hunted the area before. Thanks

I'm curious if it was the girl's idea to apply for sheep? Season is open for a month.

What if it was her dads idea, but she's excited to go on a sheep hunt nonetheless? But her dad's out of town?

Would be interesting to hear a little bit about her and her dad...

I know the draw system is different as everyone has a chance to draw. in Alberta where i'm from only the top priority have a chance. there are draws that are impossible for myself to get let alone my children if my father had entered me from the time I was legal I would be a contender. i'm sure this little ladies father had the best of intentions. It does sound like her and her mother are trying but could use some help.

Wow! I don't personally know these people, and ultimately I have no skin in the game. I just told my friend I would ask because I thought there might be some nice helpful information here. I'll let my buddy know that I definitely was wrong about that. No help on that site! Thanks

Wow! I don't personally know these people, and ultimately I have no skin in the game. I just told my friend I would ask because I thought there might be some nice helpful information here. I'll let my buddy know that I definitely was wrong about that. No help on that site! Thanks

Yes. We're all just greedy. Because after all, we've all had ram tags in that unit and know so much about it....

Whoaaaa!!

I gotta jump in here. There isn't a better hunting forum on the net than this one, esp for Montana hunters. I know its definitely geared toward MT. But there isn't really a whole bunch of people from NW MT on the site, let alone ones that have had that tag, in that HD.

Not fair to call everyone out and say there is no help there!

I have found this to be the most helpful site on the net. Lots of these guys are willing to help out in lots of ways thru pms and whatnot. And I'm not talking about "Tell me where I can go kill a big bull." Good Luck with that, too many people on here work too dang hard to just go spill.

But for a sheep? One in a lifetime, if someone here had some info, you would get it, at least in a p.m.

I see rams along the Clarks fork river by Quinns Hot Spring along Hwy 200 between Paradise to Plains fairly often in the fall. I bet you can glass sheep from the highway, climbing to where they live would be tough.

Unit 123? As in the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness? I think I can help out. If they can get to the rams might be the issue.

I have a friend that knows a 14 yr old girl that drew a Unit 123 ram tag. Here Dad is working in North Dakota like so many other NW Mt. folks, so it's basically just her and her Mom. They are having a hard time I guess. I told my buddy i would put a post here to see if there was anything someone could do to help her out. I've never hunted sheep and have never hunted the area before. Thanks

What are they having a hard time with? Finding sheep? Getting to them? Don't have gear? Coming up with gas money? Maybe you could be a little more detailed as to what kind of help they are looking for.

All in all, the young lady has found the short end of the stick while holding a lottery class tag. Hard to blame her. Sometimes the most important lessons we teach our children as their parents are not the lessons we intended to teach.

As a parent, I would have had her researching this as a project starting 10 minutes after learned the tag was awarded. Though, needs to be noted, I never would put anyone in for a tag unless they had a passion to hunt.

As for putting a bit of length onto the short end, have her call a MT biologist. Biologists may be by specie or geographical area. This is a good place to start. If she has a few dollars socked away from babysitting or lawn mowing then consider having her join Hunting Fool for $100/year and then she can get a list of hunters with their phone numbers that are also HF members that previously drew that same tag.

She doesn't need Huntin' Fool for this. Every ram killed in Montana is trophied, and the sheet has the township, section and range recorded from where the harvest took place. I am guessing that a 14 year old girl would have the folks at FWP bending over backwards to help her if she were to ask for it.

Call F&G and talk to the bio. Check out Barrary (sp) Mountain area... just north of Noxon

Not a lot of sheep habitat in that unit, but where you find it you'll find sheep...

Hope she kills a whopper.

I've passed on the information to my buddy. I don't know any of the particulars, just thought I'd try to help some way. Have no intention of being an in-between. I have my own impossible moose tag to try to fill so I'm out of it. Thanks for all of the info and help. I'll tell them about Hunt Talk and they can do their own homework. A lot of people don't even realize this type of resource is out there. Thanks again for the help and info guys!

If the girl is from the area or even close they should know people or be pointed in the right direction that could get her a sheep. Are they asking for somebody to take her hunting? That is scary letting a 14 yo girl hunt with a stranger. Hopefully it works out for her, seems dad could switch up his shifts at work with somebody to get home and take her out on a once in a life time hunt. I know many guys working in ND and they all get back at least for a little time during the season.

I know a few spots that usually hold some nice rams in that unit. Only problem is that I am not sure a 14 year old girl can get anywhere near those spots. One place is horse accessible if that is an option. I am planning on heading up to one of those places tomorrow for an overnighter and I will keep an eye out.

Other than difficult spots to get to in the wilderness, my only other advice is to start glassing Berray Mnt from the Bull River bridge once the rut kicks in. There are always ewes up there and once mid November rolls around there should be some rams as well.

If they want some specifics on the wilderness spots, give me a call or have them call me. By the way, congrats on the bull, I can't think of a much better consolation prize than that!

By the way, congrats on the bull, I can't think of a much better consolation prize than that!

Thanks man, Yeah pretty cool to find him. He wouldn't score well but man he's heavy, and dark! I told my Buddy to have them register on Hunt Talk and they will find all the help they need. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back