Elk Burger

I add pork fat to the grind. After the grind, I add some water and mix it in. Unless you grind yer deer/elk right a way, there will be moisture loss. Adding some water will make a juicier burger. The FDA used to allow butchers to add water to ground meat. I've heard some stores like Walmart still do.

Pork is ok but it don't keep as long as beef fat. The key if your adding either one is to have it pre ground and very well chilled so it grinds and mixes better with what ever game meat you are grinding. We have a local guy that gives us premium pre ground beef fat. If the beef fat isn't pretty much snow we won't take it.
If your grilling it's not an issue but if your pan frying something has to be used to keep it from sticking and that's where the added fat helps.

I add about 5% pork fat to my burger. When I make breakfast sausage I get bacon ends and pieces from the butcher to add to the meat. I don't think adding a wee bit of pork fat changes the fact that it is game meat. I don't add enough to change any of the flavor.

First: All burgers, venison or no, need fat. Period. My preferred ratio is 80 percent meat, 20 percent pork fat. I dislike beef tallow; it’s too waxy for me. Ditto for lamb fat, although that is a step up in my book.

Maybe the gospel according to man with excess lard on his butt from being addicted to fat ;). After eating enough lean you start to dislike that greasy junk and your body is better for it. At least mine is :D

I don't add anything to the meat when I'm grinding. When making patties to grill, I'll add egg yolks, some instant oatmeal, for binding as well as barbecue sauces and spices. I don't grill venison burgers well done though, I take it to about a medium and make sure they are still pink inside.

I don't add anything either. If I'm making breakfast sausage I used pure lean elk/deer, course salt, cracked blk pepper, oregeno, thyme, lots of ground sage, little cayenne pepper, italian seasoning, and make into patties for grilling and lighty brush with oil before cooking. I like my elk still bulging, very rare.

The only reason I like to add some beef or pork fat is because the patties fall apart on the grill without
any fat.

Always add beef. Pork is better but doesn't keep as long. But with new vacuum sealers I wonder if that still stands true.

I'm in the grind it up / no fat added camp for initial workup.

I will doctor up the burger if grilling (adding an egg, maybe some breadcrumbs / oatmeal / ritz crackers) if the deer/elk meat is a little leaner than normal and I'm having problems keeping it together on the grill.

When processing, I usually don't have time to do big batches of fresh sausage. I'll thaw it out later and make sausages / jerky / pepper sticks (usually a summer time task for me).

My Dad always added beef trim to his burger. Personally, I'd rather just eat my meat (unless doing sausages)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back