2014 DIY Moose and Caribou Hunt

Good job, Mike. Nice bull. Sorry the moose didn't cooperate. My hunt this year was successful, as all 3 of us got a caribou. Our trip had its challenges, mainly due to bugs and warm weather, as it was an early August hunt, but it was beautiful country. Time to start planning the next trip! Knute

I wondered what the bugs would be like hunting that early, glad you guys got some caribou! I already miss the AK Interior - but already have a partner lined up for next year's caribou hunt, so have something to look forward to in the winter months!

What a great trip, to bad no moose though. Thanks for sharing the great pictures and your hunt.

Congrats on the great bou and thanks for sharing those incredible pics.

Great bull. I flew out of Tok on Sep 3rd for caribou and griz. I was about 112 miles north of Tok near the base of Mt. Sorenson. Got a nice bull but no griz. 40 Mile is a very professional service. Hope to get back up there in a few years.

Great bull. I flew out of Tok on Sep 3rd for caribou and griz. I was about 112 miles north of Tok near the base of Mt. Sorenson. Got a nice bull but no griz. 40 Mile is a very professional service. Hope to get back up there in a few years.

Nice job on the bull! Are you a resident, or did you have a guide with you?

We saw a MONSTER grizz about 2 miles away eating berries - he looked as big as an SUV! If I would have legally been able to hunt grizzly, we'd have been after him in a heartbeat.

Any pics of your bull?

40 mile air keeps coming up on my searches as one of the good ones. Did you use your own gear or rent theirs? Was their a lot of other hunters there? Anything you didn't like about them or something that a potential client of theirs should know?

Thanks,
Eddie

40 mile is a great outfit.Your too late if you wanted to book a trip this year from all I've heard.That alone should tell you all you need to know about them.You need to be on the phone with them the day they start taking deposits.I had a great bou hunt with them but Mike made life easy for me

40 mile air keeps coming up on my searches as one of the good ones. Did you use your own gear or rent theirs? Was their a lot of other hunters there? Anything you didn't like about them or something that a potential client of theirs should know?

Thanks,
Eddie

I really like 40 Mile, have already booked a caribou hunt with them for next year with a guy from Idaho. I only do a moose hunt about every 4th year, as it requires another week of vacation (as opposed to a caribou hunt) if you're planning on hunting the full 10-day non-resident season.

I have my own gear - I do non-res Alaska hunts for moose or caribou about 3 out of every 4 years, so I have a self-storage unit (5' x 5' x 8' high) in Anchorage where I keep my tents, sleeping bags, cooking gear, camp gear, frame packs, and some of my clothes. That way when I fly to Alaska I just take a hard rifle case and 1 50-pound duffel bag.

40 Mile typically keeps their camps well dispersed from each other, I've never been within sight or hearing range of other camps on any of the 5 hunts I've done with them.

40 mile is a great outfit.Your too late if you wanted to book a trip this year from all I've heard.That alone should tell you all you need to know about them.You need to be on the phone with them the day they start taking deposits.I had a great bou hunt with them but Mike made life easy for me

Hey Scott - did you book a moose hunt for 2015, or are you pushing that out a year or two?

I'll be going this year if we draw the tag in the unit we need to hunt.The draw has been 100%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back