Caribou Gear

VX2 vs VX3

Baerman

Is there much of a difference between the two? I just picked up a 300 mag and am looking for a scope to put on it. Does the VX3 really capture a lot more light?

My wife has a VX 3 and I am almost set on getting one but if I can get a VX 2 for quite a bit less and there's not too much of a difference then I'd consider that.

VX1 and vari x 2 (same as the new vx1) is all I have and have never wanted more. I think scopes are way over "needed". YMMV.

Thanks Bambi! I'm assuming that any of the VX series scopes can be set up with the CDS dial? I've only seen the CDS advertised for the VX3.

IIRC, CDS only comes on the VX3 from the factory, but any scope can be fitted with CDS through the custom shop for about $90 per turret.

IIRC, CDS only comes on the VX3 from the factory, but any scope can be fitted with CDS through the custom shop for about $90 per turret.

I'm not sure that is true. I have been looking at getting a VX-2 with a CDS also and they are available. Do a google search and they will come up. I think the difference is you get a free CDS dial with a VX-3 that is customized to your cartridge. The VX-2 you would have to buy the extra dials. But I could be wrong.

The new VX2 is a very good scope and a bargain at it's pricepoint. VX3 is better, no question...whether it's (approx) 60% more dough better is up to your eyes and budget.

Looking at Leupolds site, I found they do advertise the CDS is compatible with the VX2. They also advertise a free CDS with the VX3 by providing a $60 coupon for the CDS with purchase http://leupold.com/CDS.

So comparing the two on cabelas a VX2 3-9x40 runs $300 or $360 by adding the CDS based on advertisement by Leupold, the VX3 3.5-10x40 runs $480 making the total difference $120 but you get a bit more power from the VX3 and I assume clarity. As I've said before, my wife has the VX3 but it's a 50mm. I don't think I need the 50mm obj but holy shnike can you see objects very clear well before shooting light in that thing!

How about Leupold vs Nikon? I have a muzzleloader topped with a Nikon and it works well. I don't care too much for thier BDC recticle but other than that it seems like a good scope.

Who needs light? I can't say I've ever passed on a critter because it was still legal light and I couldn't see through my scope.

Who needs light? I can't say I've ever passed on a critter because it was still legal light and I couldn't see through my scope.

light is over rated with technology, shooting hours are not. the 50mm obj works wonders in shadows too though.

My experience with Nikon is prepurchase comparison only...went with Leupold because of exit pupil. I could barely shift my eye on the nikon and black the view out. IIRC, Luepold had best eye relief also. Don't use the CDS so can't comment but there are plenty of folks that boon it here whose accolades I trust.

I have 50 and 40mm....can't tell much difference in fading light.

I have two VX3s. I replaced a Nikon with the VX3 4.5x14.40 with the CDS. The Leopold is much brighter and seems to have better glass than the Nikon. The CDS works great on both of my scopes. I would recomend calling Leopold and asking them. That is what I did and was very surprised by the advice I got from the tech guy. I wanted to buy the VX3 4.514x56 with the 30mm tube and the CDS. That scope wa about $400 more than the one I got. The tech said once a person gets over 30 years old anything over a 40mm will not appear any brighter. He said that a person's eye will only allow so much light and the 40mm is about the tops in the magnifications I was looking at. I thought for sure the tech would recommend the more expensive scope but he didn't. I bought the second Leopold because I took both rifles shooting one evening. I had the Nikon Monarch in a 3x13x50 on one rifle and theLeopold on another and the difference was amazing. After that day I got rid of the Nikon and went with another Leopold.

I’ve got both a Nikon Monarch and a VXIII from Leupold with a CDS dial. I LOVE the CDS so I’m a Leupold guy from now on. The fact that they are a sponsor of OYOA is another plus. Truth be told though, the Monarch is a good scope. If you don’t have it already…look into the CDS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back