CO mule deer question

HighDesertSage

I'm heading out for my 3rd rifle hunt on Friday. I spoke with the forest service in the ranger district I will be hunting and they said as of this morning there was no snow except for maybe an inch on some north facing slopes. I had originally planned on hunting in the 6500' to 8500' ft range. However, given the dry conditions up on top I may want to plan on heading up higher. Do any of you CO guys with mule deer experience have any advice for me? It's dropping down into the teens at night up on top. Would that be enough to get most bucks moving to lower elevations? Is the migration determined by snow depth, or will bucks start coming down either way. Thanks for the help.

I just came home from a Colorado elk hunt and we saw lots of deer between 8,500 and 10,000 feet. There is really no snow to speak of up high. A lot of the bucks we saw were in the stunted aspen near the mountain peaks. If I were you I would not hesitate to head up high.

The bucks will be everywhere but the highest elevations now, and the only thing that will move them is a big snowfall or the urge to reproduce. A piddly 4" snow likely won't make them head for lower elevation, although it may give them that "special feeling."

The bucks will be everywhere but the highest elevations now, and the only thing that will move them is a big snowfall or the urge to reproduce. A piddly 4" snow likely won't make them head for lower elevation, although it may give them that "special feeling."

Thanks,

The thing is I know the lower elevation areas and BLM country. The higher country is not familiar to me. I think at this point I will hunt the lower areas that I know, and if I am not seeing deer, adjust to a higher altitude.

I'm in the same boat. My hunting unit is dependent upon snow up high in the next unit over. The weather has been in the 50s and 60s out there, so I may be screwed.

I'm in the same boat. My hunting unit is dependent upon snow up high in the next unit over. The weather has been in the 50s and 60s out there, so I may be screwed.

I guess that makes two of us then. If I had to shoot something every time I went hunting, I probably would have stopped hunting along time ago. :)

Good luck to all!

From the sounds of it, I wouldn't want to waste too many days down low.if you know it better then its a good start,but I'd find ways to get up high now with maps before heading out.At least you have a tag and a reason to hang out in the Rockies.In my book you already are successful,but that's cause I have no tag
Good luck!!Always loved muley hunts

I just came home from a Colorado elk hunt and we saw lots of deer between 8,500 and 10,000 feet. There is really no snow to speak of up high. A lot of the bucks we saw were in the stunted aspen near the mountain peaks. If I were you I would not hesitate to head up high.

^^^ This for me too. Took my forky at about 8800 feet. Still some snow in the north facing shade and on the north side of the mountain. I was the only one that didn't see a "good" buck on the trip and they were all between 8800-10500 in unit 25/26.

With the rut coming in very soon, I'd focus your attention on does. Every year by the last 3-4 days of 3rd season (at least where I hunt) regardless of snow, the bigger bucks start showing up chasing does. The longer you wait during 3rd season, the better the odds are of seeing a love crazed biggun chasing doe. Snow does help for sure though. The more the better.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm leaving tonight and will let you know what I find. I have a new job I am starting the 10th in Grand Junction, a family to move, and an empty freezer with no elk this year. I may not get a full week in to hunt this year. See how it goes. I won't be holding out for a nice one this year that's for sure.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Got it done the second day of the season. Not my best buck, but he had a huge body on him! With no elk this year I am very happy to have him in the freezer. I filled my tag Sunday, found us a house in GJ Monday, drove back to the front range on Tuesday, packed Wednesday, loaded the Uhaul Thursday, drove to new house in GJ Thursday night, spent Friday Saturday and Sunday unpacking/setting up new house, and off to work at new job last Monday. I've been pretty busy...lol. Oh yeah, Got him at ~6000 ft. I saw deer on Saturday all the way up to about 9500 down to 5500 ft in town. Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• 20141102_064645.jpg
    20141102_064645.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back