Swift kick right in the boys :(

SFC B

Soooo, I haven't been able to find my 180 NPs which led me do buy Federals in 180 TB. Went to the range yesterday to check my zero and dial in. Wanted to start at 50m just to be sure nothing kooky was going on. First two shots were touching about 1/4 in to the right and then the next 4 were all over hells half acre. When they call the range cold I take my rifle to the table to checked out and the scope is shaking noticably as I walk. I take the scope of the rail to find one of the set screw snapped off inside :mad: Went to my gun shop/smith to have him look at it. As he takes the rail off and checks it over. Appears the screw next to that one must have gottent torqued as well as it stripped out its threads when it was backed out. Cost to redrilled and tap......at least $200. Doesn't soundlike much but this is a Remington 710 and I paid under $300 for it brand new 11 years ago. I have gotten great use out of that gun and it has killed everything I have shot at with it...until now. The bright side of the story is that while I was there I started to go over his stocked. He has the new Savage 111 combos for 540 and that interested me. Then off the back rack he pulls out a used Savage 110 and it is tagged at $240. Decision made I have a decent Burris 3x9x40 at home that he is going to switch out with the crappy simmons that is on it for me. I guess it could be worse but kinda spoiled my day at the range and put me under the gun to get back to the range before prongy on the 26th.

I am staying with 30-06. The only round to me that was a little tempting was 7mag but I have always liked the versatility and universal availibility of 06 rounds (well except for those NPs :) )

I am staying with 30-06. The only round to me that was a little tempting was 7mag but I have always liked the versatility and universal availibility of 06 rounds (well except for those NPs :) )

Good choice in calibers and you will like the 110. If it has the junk wood stock on it, Change that out at some point. I have never had a problem getting my Savages to shoot. One thing about Savages is that the bolt face can be changed to anything. I have a friend that is a Savage guy for that reason. He can buy an action in whatever caliber and change it easily to what he is building.

I have owned three 7 mags, the first of which was on a trade. Had it not been for the trade, I would probably be shooting a 30-06 today. That 180-grain bullet will do all that you require. You will like the Burris scope much better, also. Simmons is OK if you are putting it on light-recoiling rifles, but I would not trust a good hunt to one.

Hope it works out for you! I had a less than thrilling day at the range yesterday with one of my rifles as well. Hoping I can get it ironed out. If not, the backup will go as it shot how/where it was supposed to.

Welp, I will be picking up the 110 this afternoon ....and guess what she will be wearing? How about a sweet little number in Vortex 4x16 Viper HS!! Found out yesterday afternoon that the "backup glass" I pulled out of the closet and was going to wear on the 110 had a blown reticle :/ Not feeling good at all I got home to find out from my Uncle that I will be receiving some $$$$ from a life insurance policy that my grandfather had and nobody knew about. Not life changing money by any stretch, but enough for me not to think twice about getting something I KNOW he would have approved of. He was almost 98 when he passed in May. He was a B of the B WWII vet and the toughest man I have ever known. Great Grandpa and role model. So here is a big thanks to him for enabling me even further :) Man that glass sure is puurrrttty!! Now all I have to do is get BACK to the range!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back