Caribou Gear Tarp

Antelope rut

Elkchaser12

I have an archery antelope tag for two weeks September 10-24, I have done a little bit of research and this is apparently during the rut so what are the best tactics on how to hunt during the rut I've heard of decoying but before I go out and spend the 100 dollars on a montana decoy I would like to hear your opinions, not a big fan of the heads up decoy due to the fact that I've heard some horror stories of people getting shot at cause people just see the head going through the woods and let a few shots out at them I doubt that will happen but still don't want it to happen to me! So what does everybody else do during the antelope rut when they have a bow in hand?

I would not hunt with a decoyof any sort if there is any rifle season open in your area. If not, I'd get a decoy because they will come to one to protect their turf from other bucks when the rut gets going. You can always sit a water hole part of the time too because they will hit it more than once a day when they are running does hot and heavy in the rut.

September 10-12 has always seemed like crazy time. I'm hoping they'll still respond this weekend but it's unlikely.

Lots of rutting here down, and it has been hot. Dont forget about the water holes. Only problem there is water everywhere!

Watched a herd buck fending off an intruder today. They're still rutting here!

Back