Adak.....sorta

glass eye

Got stuck in Anchorage, flight to Adak was cancelled due to an eruption of a volcano. Make-up flight was the next day but half way there the pilot turned back to Anchorage due to fog.
Finally made it there after losing 4 days in Anchorage. Hunted around Palmer while killing time.

So, killing time in Anchorage for 4 days left us with precious little time to hunt caribou on Adak. Arriving on Thursday evening and departing Sunday.

We backpacked in but didn't get as deep into the island as we wanted to as we were racing against the setting sun.

The following day ( Friday ) would be our only day to hunt caribou.

We woke up, made breakfast and headed into the hills, and about 100 yards from camp we see 4 young caribou less than 100 yards away. I saw this as a good sign......but it wasn't.....it was a gift.

We passed on these 'bou in hopes of something with good headgear. After hiking up to the top of the mountain, we only saw 1 small 'bou that bolted and disappeared. Then later saw 2 more small ones that trotted right through our camp, twice, but we were a mile away on top of the mountain.

Wind got so strong it knocked me off my feet twice, so we headed down lower to get out of the wind, sort of.

That night the wind was so strong that the gust' would flatten my tent and press down upon me, then snap back into shape.

My friend's dome tent became a parachute. In the darkness he cried out " Breck, help me....the wind is driving me over the cliff and I'm going to fall into the pond "

The wind had pulled up his stakes and drug a 270 lb. man with all his gear inside the tent and was scooting him across the tundra towards the cliff and pond.

SATURDAY...........winds still very strong we backpacked out along steep cliffs.

Spent the afternoon Ptarmigan hunting. I shot 10 ptarmigan and called it quits, could have got 20 if I wanted to.

Sunday we packed up to come home.

Can't wait to go back again !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eYOmFewaY&list=UUFmCX5e8nFBCiqGhewo4lpg

Sucks you got cut short on hunting time but it sounds like you won't forget the time you did have any time soon!

That sucks that it turned out the way it did but look at the bright side, atleast you got the chance to go and also saw some game.

I spent 1971 there in the corp, never heard or seen caribou they must have transplanted some, we had one clear day and the co gave us the day off, its a tough duty in the winter. Glad to here the island is good for something like hunting now,

This is the kind of story that has kept me from attempting an Alaska hunt. My free days are precious! The weather there is nasty! But I will go, someday.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back