Yeti GOBOX Collection

avian x turkey

skimerhorn

Looking too get one good hen decoy too run (I've had good luck with just a hen decoy) and am pretty set on a avian decoy. Which pose do you guys like, the feeding, lookout, or breeder?

I have the breeder, but plan to get the feeding before next spring. IMO a high-headed turkey is one on alert. Not the message I'm trying to send to wary gobblers. I've had good luck with the breeder though. You can't go wrong with the Avian-X, super good looking decoys.

I've had the feeder and the looker for a couple years, they look great and work like a charm!! A little pricey, but, worth every cent IMO. :)

I prefer Dave Smith decoys and deploy all 3 poses. The alert hen poses no perceived threat to incoming birds in my opinion. They are always alert!

I use a number of decoys but if I'm running and gunning I only carry the avian x feeder. The last few years I've switched to almost always hunting Turks with a bow, public land, over this dec and have had good success. It's worth it.

I'm not a long time turkey hunter. Put down 15 bird. I haven't figured out what decoys to use when in the spring season. It seems birds just don't like decoy set ups in Va. I've only had a few hunts where they have come to decoys. So I be honing my run and gun skills.
I figure that guys talking decoys know the ropes in using them so can I get some help. Maybe another tread. Sorry for the interruption.

I use alert and never had a problem. They seem to come in very nicely.

I know you are set on the Avian-X. Very nice decoy. They are "AIR FILLED". I ask the Cabelas guy what would happen if I or the old guy that hunts with me accidently the decoy. Well, you have a hole and they are hard to patch. I took the decoys back and went with the Dave Smith... harder plastic and if you accidently shoot them... you don't have to worry. DSD are more $$$. Both are very realistic and great decoys. (might want to check out the reviews on the Cabelas site).

good luck to all
the dog

I use alert and never had a problem. They seem to come in very nicely.

I know you are set on the Avian-X. Very nice decoy. They are "AIR FILLED". I ask the Cabelas guy what would happen if I or the old guy that hunts with me accidently the decoy. Well, you have a hole and they are hard to patch. I took the decoys back and went with the Dave Smith... harder plastic and if you accidently shoot them... you don't have to worry. DSD are more $$$. Both are very realistic and great decoys. (might want to check out the reviews on the Cabelas site).

good luck to all
the dog

I thought the avian were collapseable? That was the only red I like the avian over the David smith, was I could put it in my vest and not worry about crushing it. Will have to do some recon and maybe reconsider now. Thanks for the heads up.

They are collapsable. They take about 30 seconds, depending on how full of hot air you are, to fill up. They are a hard rubber so yes if shot you would have a leak, patchable, but still don't shoot it. The paint doesn't flake off either like it does on other collapsable decs.

You need to blow them up via the valve tube on the belly region. Because of the material and inflating it, cresses really aren't an issue. I deflate mine a bit to fit better in my vest, not all the way though so it makes it faster to get setup. You can have it filled and in the ground in seconds. Only issue I have with this dec other than cost is that a stray bb would be problematic.

So they're inflatable?

skimerhorn, think basketball. . .they are a tough and durable "rubber" feeling deke, as many have said. . shooting them would be bad, but, I think that goes for all dekes. they would be patchable though. I'd spend the money, you will love them.

Back