Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Antelope skinning

sigpros

I have never hunted antelope and I am really looking forward to my first time. Now kinda jumping the gun but let's say I shoot a nice one to mount how do you guys cape them? Do you take measurements? The only deer I have had mounted I just drove over to the taxi and let him cape it out. So I don't know what I need to do to bring my trophy home. Thanks

Just like you'd do a deer, you can search for a video online. I've never had to transport a cape very far but maybe someone on here has some tips. I know my taxi tells me to freeze them until I can get them to him.

Best thing to do is cape them and keep them as cool as possible. I've put mine in a plastic bag and then on ice. One thing to consider is that the blood can stain the white on a pronghorn cape. I try to keep as much blood off the white as possible. If you have to, I would wash the cape with cold water and draw as much of the blood out as possible before getting it on ice.

Another thing to consider is that pronghorn capes arent that hard to come by if something goes wrong in the process.

DON'T Drag it !!!

You will drag a hole through the skin.
Take the hide off if you can BEFORE you move it or use only a cart...:hump:

Skin then ASAP. I skin them within the first 30 minutes. Don't drive around with him in the back of the truck all day long :( I actually know a guy in Wyoming (professional tanner) who takes my cape and does the rest. It is then forwarded to my Taxidermist back home.

good luck to all
the dog

Best thing to do is cape them and keep them as cool as possible. I've put mine in a plastic bag and then on ice. One thing to consider is that the blood can stain the white on a pronghorn cape. I try to keep as much blood off the white as possible. If you have to, I would wash the cape with cold water and draw as much of the blood out as possible before getting it on ice.

Another thing to consider is that pronghorn capes arent that hard to come by if something goes wrong in the process.

This^^ and make sure you cape as far back as you can so you give your taxi plenty to work with. Take your time -the skin is much thinner than deer and as mdunc8 says the hair falls out very easy. Keeping it cold is key.

Great pointers. I was just planning on freezing mine until I got home.

I was told by my taxidermist that if you freeze hide not to salt it, and if you salt it don't freeze it.
DEFINATELY DON'T DRAG IT!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back