Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY Elk Unit 63/64

Wow. Nice bulls, please share some more photos of that non-typical. I've got max elk points and looking for a nice WY elk hunt someday. I've had some other friends do pretty well there.

He won't live too much longer. He had a bad limp from what looked like a broken hip at one time in his life. He still lives as far as we know. We haven't seen him since we shot the last video. These picks were taken from the video. From the first time to the last time we saw him we have about 25 minutes of video to remind us of a this nice bull. We fixated on him most of the archery season but it wasn't meant to be.
image.jpg

My 2013 NV bull in the middle sandwiched by our WY bulls. We feel lucky to have been successful this year. We have one more hunt to go helping our buddy with his guiding business in NV. We get to go back to the unit we hunted 2012-13 and hopefully this guy from CA is ready for a great hunt. Looking for the 370 bull we saw last year and get some close up pics of him.
image.jpg

I had not seen this thread. Very cool hunt. Thanks for telling the story here. Great bulls, too. Congrats.

I would also like some help on area 63/64 elk hunt in Wyoming. I am a native to Wyoming but not this hunt area. Should I camp with my family out of Thermopolis or is there camping near the area that im not going to get into the grizzly's. I was hoping we could do some glassing with the kids (5 and 7 years old) and maybe get into a bull sense its a late season tag. They love to see dad hunt and be there. With that said, I see some people out in the cedar trees on ridges with some nice elk pictures or should i spend the time up in the forest?

I would also like some help on area 63/64 elk hunt in Wyoming. I am a native to Wyoming but not this hunt area. Should I camp with my family out of Thermopolis or is there camping near the area that im not going to get into the grizzly's. I was hoping we could do some glassing with the kids (5 and 7 years old) and maybe get into a bull sense its a late season tag. They love to see dad hunt and be there. With that said, I see some people out in the cedar trees on ridges with some nice elk pictures or should i spend the time up in the forest?
Congrats on the tag. You'll probably get more help if you go to the "who am I" section and post an introduction, and contribute useful info on other threads before the big ask for help. Lots of people sign up this time of year, make 10 meaningless posts so they can start a thread to ask for help, then disappear.

Anyways, from what I've seen, where you find the bulls late there will depend on how much snow when you hunt. They'll stay in the forest or on the edge until deep snow pushes them out. Either way, you should be in for a good one.

You'll save a lot of driving if you camp back in there, bears are an issue, practice good safety. 90% of females denned by 4th week of Nov, 90% of males by 2nd week Dec according to Haroldson et al. 2002.

Where are you in your searches lbirch? I have allot of expereince in these areas and would be willing to share some advice send me a PM on what your thoughts are so I dont cover stuff you may already know
Could you possibly help me out with area 63/64, I am a Wyomingnite and would love some help in this unit
Congrats on the tag. You'll probably get more help if you go to the "who am I" section and post an introduction, and contribute useful info on other threads before the big ask for help. Lots of people sign up this time of year, make 10 meaningless posts so they can start a thread to ask for help, then disappear.

Anyways, from what I've seen, where you find the bulls late there will depend on how much snow when you hunt. They'll stay in the forest or on the edge until deep snow pushes them out. Either way, you should be in for a good one.

You'll save a lot of driving if you camp back in there, bears are an issue, practice good safety. 90% of females denned by 4th week of Nov, 90% of males by 2nd week Dec according to Haroldson et al. 2002.
Thank you, That makes sense about contributing to the threads and all.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back