Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sierra gameking or Nosler partition for Elk?

devon deer

So, i am now going to start to get things together for my Deer/Elk hunt this year.
I use 165 grain Sierra gameking, IMR 4350 57 grains, in my Browning XBOLT 30-06 and this is my sweet load.
But i keep hearing that Nosler Parition in either 165 or 180 is 'the elk' bullet if there is such a thing.
So should i stick with what i have or change?
Cheers
Richard

Richard, I use Nosler Partitions for anything over seven stone and get good results. For elk size game the additional energy of the 180 outweighs the flatter trajectory of the 165 at distance in my opinion, given the capabilities of the 30-06. Those who favor the magnums and shoulder mounted cannon would likely have a different opinion, but you'll get more interpretations of those points than there are of the Bible, so at least you've heard from one. RT

Last edited:
You will get people who wanna fistfight you for anything less than a 180 partition out of a 30 cal but I think what you're currently using is adequate. That said, the partition is a dependable sturdy projectile.

If I was gonna fly across the pond to shoot an elk, I'd sure as hell have a Nosler Partition in my gun. Game Kings will kill elk fine, but in my experience, their jackets are pretty thin. Just to be sure, I'd go partition.

But thats just me. How have they worked on your Red Stags?

If I was gonna fly across the pond to shoot an elk, I'd sure as hell have a Nosler Partition in my gun. Game Kings will kill elk fine, but in my experience, their jackets are pretty thin. Just to be sure, I'd go partition.

But thats just me. How have they worked on your Red Stags?

This.

Jim Zumbo killed a truckload of elk using a 165 grain nosler partition out of an 06. I'd also look at the Nosler Accubond or Hornady Interbond in 165's or 180's.

I shoot the 180 accubonds in my 300wm just because the partitions did not group well at all and absolutly love them and am amazed at the job they have done on 2 bulls but in the 7mag its partitions only and they stacked up a lot of cow elk for me over the years either boolit will do you proud

My Brother in law uses 180 gr. Game Kings in a 30-06,

I use 180 gr. Partitions in my .300 win mag.

He does my reloading.

Either will work if you shoot an elk through both lungs.

My Partitions make a prettier mushroom...that is about the only difference.

I have an 300 WSM A-Bolt that loves the 180 Accubonds, extremely accurate. Last 2 MT bulls fell to that load, very impressed with that bullet.

Good luck on your trip!

Partition hands down, you will never look back after loading this bullet. You get what ya pay for!

NP's baby. No such thing as an elk bullet. If you have the means, try both the .165 and the .180 to see which patterns better out of your Xbolt! If you do not have the means, stick with those Sierras, as you will probably be just fine with your sweet load.

I have an Abolt in .300 that loves spitting out 180 grain NPs = kills elk dead. (note: I also shoot .180 grain NPs out of my 30.06 and .338 stainless Rugers.) Use those gamekings for target practice.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I couldn't even take this thread seriously once I read "my sweet load"... too funny! :)

I'm sorry but I couldn't even take this thread seriously once I read "my sweet load"... too funny! :)

Dammit, you have a one track mind! lol
Anyway, thanks for the advice, i have plenty of time to get some practice in with my sweet, sorry accurate powder/bullet combo's i might buy some NP in 180's to try out.
Regarding the red stags, i haven't used it on one yet, but i did shoot a red hind a few weeks back and saw a cloud of hair appear on the other side of the impact, round took out top of heart, but of course even our big stags are smaller than your cow elk so its difficult to compare.

Cheers

Richard

A 165GK in 30 cal would not be my first choice, but if it shoots well and your condidant with it, by all means go for it. Elk aren't bullet proof by any means. I'm not a fan of NP, they shoot like chit in every rifle I've tried, and the only elk I've ever lost was shot with a NP. Go figure...

I'm a big fan of Accubonds. They shoot well, and I've had great luck on all sorts of game while using them. They're about the same price here, and the loads are pretty much interchangeable between them and GKs.

If I remember right, I've taken 14 elk with 165 Sierra GK out of my 7mm, and have seen easily 3x as many taken with the same load. It works well, and a bullet I still load today.

If you have the chance, try some Barnes TTSX. I shoot these out of my 30-06 and 257 Wby Mag. Just bought the 257 Wby Mag, so I can't attest to the killing power in that. But my 06 has taken plenty. Purely devastating. I have dug out some of the bullets from a gravel pile I shoot into. Well over 90% weight retention. Plus they have a larger mushroom diameter. They are spendy, but worth a try if you are coming all this way! My .02.

PREMIUM 30-06 SUPERCHARGED Ammo - 180 gr. SPTZ @ 2850 fps - 20 Round Box

PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BORE 30-06 SUPERCHARGED 180gr. SPITZER (ITEM 40C)

This Super Charged 30-06 load was designed to be the affordable “do all” 30-06 load for North American big game. In fact, I long ago forgot how many black bear, deer and elk I’ve personally shot with this load. The bullet is not a “premium” type bullet, but is a Sierra 180gr. Spitzer-FB bullet of common core & cup construction. At impact velocities of 2750 fps and under, it mushrooms beautifully and does not break up, even on big shoulder bones. It penetrates deeply enough that I have never recovered one from numerous black bear. I referenced this particular bullet in our “technical article” titled “Understanding Bonded Bullets—Dispelling the Myth”. This load (item 40C) is my “go to” load for 30-06 and I have personally been using it for around ten years. If you are going to shoot bison or AK/Yukon moose with this load, be sure to stick with “double lung” broadside or CNS (central nervous system) shots. If you must shoot very large game at bad angles with the 30-06, use our item 40B instead.

Note our real world velocities, shot from real world rifles. We do not use extra long laboratory test barrels that give false high velocity readings.

2890 fps - Kimber 8400 Montana, 24 inch barrel
2822 fps - Winchester All Terrain, (circa 1995) 22 inch barrel
2830 fps - Winchester Feather Weight, (circa 1950) 22 inch barrel
This ammunition is designed for use in ALL 30-06 chambered rifles that are in normal operating condition.

I would look at this as a solid answer to your question. If you go to Buffalo Bore's sight they also load a Barnes Bullet for the 06' also excellent.

Hope this helps
Bob

I'll second Brian's recommendation on the Barnes TSX. It's all I use in my rifles. 85 grain in the .243, 150 grain the 30-06 and 185 grain the .338-06. Very accurate and easy to load, excellent performance.

That said, a GameKing in the boiler room will kill an elk. A crappy shot is a crappy shot, and premium bullets don't always save the day.

Richard,

I just noticed that you have the exact same load as I do for the 06 (not sure how I missed that earlier). I've had great results with that load and the Partition, the Hornady Interlock and the Hornady Interbond. I would imagine that the accubond would be the same.

The accubond or the interbond will outperform the partition, but you're splitting hairs at that point.

Use Partitions, Accubonds, Barnes, North Forks etc., in either 165 or 180. A Game King is OK for deer, and Sierra bullets are very accurate, BUT I have seen them come apart very easily. My father-in-law shot a cow elk one year with one and the bullet dynamited. It killed the elk, but the bullet was shredded. I had a jacket separation with one one time on a coyote that I shot going away at close range. The bullet did not exit the coyote and the jacket separated. This was on a called coyote, not a heavy animal. This was a 165 grain bullet from a .308 and I found the two pieces under the skin on the front end of the coyote when I skinned it. I was pretty amazed.

Thanks chaps, only problem is i had to apply to the BATF to get a temporary import license for my rifle and ammo, applied 2 weeks ago, with an expected wait of 6 weeks, but i had to complete the form stating the bullet make, so Gameking is what i will be using.
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back