PEAX Equipment

New tires for the truck

Ditto....the 1st 10 yrs on my Tacoma were on LTX M/S and I only had to chain up twice in the Sierras. Probably 100k of the 365k I have on it was put on in Sierras. 1 flat. LTX.
They are great 99% of the time here in NM but that 1% can kill you,literally.

nr....,
i have used bfg all-terrain t/a ko2 in lt265/70/ 17 load range (e) for my last (2) rounds of (4) tire replacements.
These are a load range "e" and a (10) ply tire which gives you a lot of sidewall strength and overall durability
(1st) set of (4) tires lasted me 68k mi and this set is at 48k with a lot of tread left.
I have yet to get them stuck anywhere and have lowered air pressure down to 15 psi when on the beach of nc.
They are not straight up mud tires but they self clean pretty well coming out of a corn field.
They also don`t scream when they drive me to work. Excellent in snow and rain.

10dogs

+1000

A few guys I know have switched to the Hankook Dynapro ATM and are really impressed.. My next summer set will be these just to try. They have great reviews and I feel will easily compete with the Coopers

I heard the same on the Hankook Dynapro and am liking mine so far (only about 10k miles) on my everyday, run-the-roads truck.

I've had great luck with Nitto and Toyo's, both MT's and the AT's. I will never run another Michelin or Pirelli tire again. They have never preformed to my standards in mud, snow, ice or even just wet roads.

Bridgestone Duelers have treated me well, just don't have the size's I use. BFGoodrich are never close to advertised size and are a softer compound. The DuraTrac are a good all around tire for mud/snow/ice.

ive had very good luck with bfg mud t/a as they are the only ones I know of that have 3 ply sidewalls,,most d or e rated tires have only 2 ply sidewalls where you need the protection including your coopers..bfg mud t/a are not quiet though..just my recomondation.

I fully agree. My last 3 sets of tires were BFG mudders. I've never had a situation where I said to myself "boy I wish I didn't have mud tires". I'm sure I could do well with an all-terrain tire but those few times when it's really crappy I'm very thankfull for those mudders.
Never had a rock bruise or ruin a sidewall on sharp rocks.This year's elk hunt had us on some incredibly muddy roads.
They are pricey and they are definately not quiet. Plus I really like the fact that they are made in the good old USA, that is a rareity in tires today.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=50957&stc=1&d=1448469936

Attachments

• DSCN0388_opt.jpg
    DSCN0388_opt.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 789
My last pickup had the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in the 265/75/16. Loved the traction and cleaned out the mud well. Could not vouch for highway noise due to the exhaust. Whatever you get, go with a load range E or D. The extra ply will save you from a few punctures throughout their life. I will go back to the Duratrac when the factory tires wear out! My brother runs the Duratrac's as well on his mega cab and they hold up well and he is 90% gravel roads. We both live in Colorado and they do well in sand, gravel, mud and snow from our personal experiences.

I'm running the ST Maxx in 295/70-18. So far I am very pleased with them. The off road traction is great, and the little amount I've had them in the snow has been good so far. They are a little louder than some other AT tires on the highway, but that is expected with the more aggressive tread. I've also ran the Hankook Dynapro and BFG AT's. I wouldn't do the BFG's again due to poor snow performance and price, however I have heard good things about the KM2. The Hankooks were a great tire, and performed great on/off road and in the snow. If you're looking for something a little more aggressive, then you can't go wrong with the ST Maxx.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 564
I run Duratracs on my work vehicle, and have for about five years. I go through a set in about 40k miles, mostly gravel roads. They are very good tires.

I am running Cooper AT3s on my Dodge Ram. They are also good, do very well on snow and ice, probably a little better than the Duratracs. The Duratracs are better in mud and deep snow.

I've also run a lot of Cooper Discoverer ST and they are a very good tire but more oriented towards off road. I used to sipe them for wintertime snow and ice.

Another vote for the cooper st/max. I put them on my truck and it is a different truck compared to when it had Michelin AT on it. With the Michelins I couldn't go on level wet grass without being in 4x4 but with the Coopers I haven't need 4x4 even on a lot of the muddy mountain roads. This is on a 2012 F250 diesel.

I've had great luck with Goodyear MT/R (very offroad oriented) as well as my current set of E-rated Duratracs. The Duratracs came highly recommended not only for their tread and durability but also because they handle very well on the road and while towing. Most off-road tires are too soft to handle towing a heavy trailer and these duratracs have done great. They are louder than the highway tires they replaced, but I barely notice them, just a light hum.

My last set of tires on my last truck were the BFG At/ko and they were a great tire, but not the greatest for muddy or sloppy roads, Great tire for snow and dirt though.

Had a tire blow out on my latest hunting trip on my ford expedition. On a sunday noless.Onlyplace open was WALMART .I went there to purchase a set of tires ,Firestone winterforce was my choice but they were no available at that store so I bought the only thing they had in my tire size,GoodYear Wrangler trail Mark. I will have to wait and see how they last for me.So far they run down the road smooth and no noise.

Hey all, Randy's thread about getting a new truck has inspired me to ask everyone what kind of tires they run as I am in the market for some new rubber. I have a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 and stock tire size is P265/70/17. I have been looking at Cooper Discover S/T Maxx, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 and the Wrangler Duratrac by Goodyear. I keep going back and forth with what I want/need. I'm not super abusive on my tires but, like many of you, end up in some pretty hairy situations while hunting and fishing. I also live in Colorado and do spend a good amount of time in some nasty mountain weather, so snow performance is pretty important. I also want to bump up the ply rating and am not sure between C load range and E load range. Any insight would be awesome as well as any other tire recommendations. Thanks again

The Cooper A/T3 will probably be a better tire on icy roads. The S/T Maxx is a fairly hard tire that is better suited for gravel or situations where off road traction is a priority.

I just replaced a set of S/T Maxx on my F350(diesel) with another set and if I didn't drive a fair amount of gravel I would have went with A/T3's.

Someone already mentioned but the Hankook Dynpro ATM's are another awesome tire.
We have them on 2 feed pickups and they are tougher than hell.

I am running Wrangler Duratracs on my truck. I have had them on for 3 years and I like them a lot. I haven't been stuck with them yet and it worked well in mud last year, enough to pull people out. I have load range E in 285/60/20.

I've run DuraTrac on my last truck (F-150) and my current truck (F-250 diesel). I've never been stuck, never had a flat, and never chained up since I bought them. I hunted in the 4-Corners area of NM in January a few years ago and all the oil guys down there swore by the DuraTrac so I decided to give them a try.

They have been great tires... best I've owned.

The only complaint is the diesel seems to go through tread a lot quicker. They ran forever on the half-ton, but the PowerStroke seems to be harder on them. Probably 80% of miles are with a loaded bed and/or a 12,000 lbs trailer and I missed a tire-rotation or two, so its probably more on me than the tire. I'm down to 3mm now on the rear tires and they have 38,000 miles on them.

For my next set, I'm looking at DuraTrac or BFG T/A KO2 right now, but you guys have given me a lot of other options to consider. Thanks for that.

(PS. Take a look at some of the snowplow forums, yes they exist, as they have some really good snow tire experience for pickup trucks)

Found that Michelin does make a newer more aggresive tire than the LTX MS 2.

The Michelin LTX AT 2 and the Cooper AT3 were rated highest overall from CR for an AT.
Not MS or off road.
Found some online in E rating...$200-250 compared to Cooper AT3 $200,but way quieter. 60k milage on both they say.
Looking to replace the LTX's next year on my F-150 Lariat 4x,my luxury truck. They are P rated which means PARK it on the Pavement in New Mexican rural road....lol Like I said ,awesome tires for hwy and general use .But not in P. I've already had one rock break since I got it and they were almost new it looked.
Jeez....I paid $250 for my 1st Ford PU..............and almost as much for this used truck as my 1st home..............

Last edited:
For what it is worth being a fan of Cooper tires, I am using Cooper ATWs which are the latest upgrade from the AT3. The ATW has more siping and are deep treaded - they've been great on snow and ice !
Being in the construction business and accustomed to heavy loads they perform well up here in the high country of Colorado. Have found , come late hunting seasons, they've performed very well in deep snow !

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Spor...2hF7E5NMQ4bITyrleUppoyQv_rIHRNeVwsaAup58P8HAQ

That STT Pro looks like a great tire. Similar to the new Toyo. Gonna go look at them both in person. mtmuley

That STT Pro looks like a great tire. Similar to the new Toyo. Gonna go look at them both in person. mtmuley

Very similar tread pattern as the Dura Trac, although a little more aggressive shoulder design. I'm interested to see how these are reviewed.

Another vote for the cooper st/max. I put them on my truck and it is a different truck compared to when it had Michelin AT on it. With the Michelins I couldn't go on level wet grass without being in 4x4 but with the Coopers I haven't need 4x4 even on a lot of the muddy mountain roads. This is on a 2012 F250 diesel.

I talked to a guy in Wyoming that said about the same thing about Michelins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back