Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bow Day Hunt

Kiwi

Last month I was in the South Island (New Zealand) for a family holiday and managed to sneak off for a quick day trip.

I was up early and after a good few hours slog was above the tree line and glassing for animals. I spotted a couple of fallow and decided to try and get close to them as a yearling fallow would be great for the BBQ.

After about 20 minutes I got to a point that I thought was about 40 yards from the deer but I couldn’t see them. A decided to let out a hind call and hopefully they will stand up and give me time for a shot. It worked. The yearling was broadside at 40 yards and I had heaps of time to take the shot. The shot was good.

After butchering the meat I walked out to a cold beer and hot spa :)

I’ve decided fallow not only tastes better than reds but they also don’t wreck your knees!

Heres a couple of (average) iphone photos:

sounds like fun! Congrats on acquiring supper! My son will be on the south Island from late Jan., thru early May. Would be interesting to chat with some of you NZ folks about life there.

sounds like fun! Congrats on acquiring supper! My son will be on the south Island from late Jan., thru early May. Would be interesting to chat with some of you NZ folks about life there.

Happy to help, just message me.

I can suggest a couple of public land spots that might be good for a deer / chamois / tahr.

Thanks anyway Kiwi, but he won't be hunting. Fell out of that years ago, I will shoot you a pm when I have more time.

Back