One day to hunt MT

Well done! That's a pretty buck! Thanks for the info on the camera. Since I have a face made for radio, I'll never need to film professionally, but I would like to start filming my kids hunts. Would you recommend a camera like this for that purpose? If so, what lenses would you recommend?

Great buck! Someday I'm gonna shoot a whitetail buck like that. You're an animal to pack that bugger out of that steep brush patch you were in.

Well done! That's a pretty buck! Thanks for the info on the camera. Since I have a face made for radio, I'll never need to film professionally, but I would like to start filming my kids hunts. Would you recommend a camera like this for that purpose? If so, what lenses would you recommend?

If you were filming your kids, I would probably go with something easy to use. I suspect professional audio quality is not an issue, so having mics and XLR inputs is not necessary.

Here is one of the cameras I was using that day - Canon Vixia

Put it on a lightweight tripod and it takes remarkably good video. It adjusts to light very quick and has a very good sensor for the price. I also add a wide angle .66X-.7x lens to mine that will screw on the front of this camera (43mm is the size of the end of this camera).

That is about all you need for fun stuff. If you want to go a step up, you will be looking at a big jump in price for features you probably don't need and won't use for family fun.

I do use the mirrorless Sony A6000 for filming also. I use two different lenses, depending upon what distance and how wide the shots will be. Not nearly the ease of control with the mirrorless as you get with the handycam, but a far better picture quality.

I mostly use these two Sony lenses that come with this A6000 package. I have two other lenses but use those mostly for still images, not video.

Randy,
Great deer you harvested. I am amazed at the quality whitetail posted by Yourself,Greenhorn, and Critter...all taken on public land.;):)
And filming it to boot.Kudos extended.

Randy,
Great deer you harvested. I am amazed at the quality whitetail posted by Yourself,Greenhorn, and Critter...all taken on public land.;):)
And filming it to boot.Kudos extended.

Thanks. You shoot bigger ones, but you just don't post many pics. Hope your tag is filled by now.

Great hunt Big Fin, brings back memories of the day I gave up self filming. My last footage was rather sad as my, more than I could afford camera crashed it's way down thru the limbs of an Indiana Maple tree. Looked like a dash cam film from a plane wreck. Ended all thoughts of self filming whitetail until now. I am inspired to try again, got fresh snow and lots of bucks moving these past couple of days. I'll give it a try again!

Great hunt Big Fin, brings back memories of the day I gave up self filming. My last footage was rather sad as my, more than I could afford camera crashed it's way down thru the limbs of an Indiana Maple tree. Looked like a dash cam film from a plane wreck. Ended all thoughts of self filming whitetail until now. I am inspired to try again, got fresh snow and lots of bucks moving these past couple of days. I'll give it a try again!

Go get 'em. They are a special kind of stupid this time of year. They have to be, if I was able to kill one and self-film it.

Great buck. Is he really that light colored or is it just the lighting? I saw in another post you added a picture that made him look almost cream colored, looking at these pics he does look really light colored.

Great buck. Is he really that light colored or is it just the lighting? I saw in another post you added a picture that made him look almost cream colored, looking at these pics he does look really light colored.

Thanks. I've been experimenting with some settings on the new camera. so I might have it a bit messed up. I was trying to compensate for the light reflecting off the snow.

Here is one with no adjustment pre or post. You will see how the snow impacts the foreground. He was lighter colored than most, but not much more than most whitetails I've killed in SW MT.

DSC00943.JPG

I thought it may have been the camera settings or something.

Wish I could sneak away for a day or two of whitetail hunting.

Congratulations. I am looking forward to seeing the video.

I got the download subscription, so I get to see the shows much earlier this year - the photography is stunning. But the message is why I keep watching.

Last edited:
It still amazes me some of the nice Whitetails that are taken out west every year. Unfortunately, a lot of people around here will wait a lifetime to shoot one of that quality. Great job and buck Big Fin! I think I need to head over by you to hunt Whitetails.

Back