MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rifle Suggestion for Wife

I'd make sure I had a lot of ammo and/or brass for the 25WSSM. It's been discontinued and components are not easy to find.

I highly recommend the Remington Model 7 - My wife shoots this in a .308. The .308 has a high range of loads that can be suitable for all sorts of game. Very little recoil!

I bought my 14 year old daughter a 7mm-08 and she shoots it just fine and she is 5'5" and 120lbs. She is shooting 140g accu bonds with Varget powder, cant remember off the top of my head how many grains of powder though, She can drive them in like tacks at 100 yards and can cover the group with a quarter.

.223 is great deer cartridge as well. I probably wouldn't use it on elk though.

Travis

You already have lots of great advice...but I will throw i my .02 since I have a hunting wife and daughter, and worked with them finding out what they wanted to use.

If the 308 left a bad impression for her...it will be hard to remedy.

The fact that you mentioned Elk and that your wife seemed ok with the 270...that is where I would head. The 270 would work with the reduced recoil rounds for now just fine for deer, plus if you are after Elk...you just step up to the many ammo choices available,
Finally, let her decide...since it will be her rifle. Good luck!

If a wood stock interests you you may be able to have a mercury filled recoil reducer installed in the stock. MAYBE.

I see a lot of votes for the 243. Within its limits, say within 200 yards, how is it as an elk gun? I understand she will have to be very selective with her shots.

7mm08 I know has a bit more to it than the 243 but understand it is fine for elk as well. Insurance so to speak in comparison.

I know next to nothing about 6.5 Creedmoor. At the moment I am not reloading. I am just getting into hunting and starting out factory ammo right now. I have a Dillon 550 a friend gave me but it is just sitting collecting dust.

I know a lot of the guys on here will argue with me, but the .243 is fine for everything up to and including elk if used within it's limits. that is what my Dad has hunted with for the last 40 years, and he has killed a lot of deer and elk with it.
My brother recently acquired a savage in a 6.5 Creedmoor, and loves it. It is light on recoil and excellent ballistics. just be sure you go with a hunting bullet if you buy factory ammo, as the hornady A-max bullet is not designed for hunting.
Another caliber option that is my favorite is the .257 Roberts. light recoil, and can be loaded with 120 grain bullets which are deadly on elk. The only downside is unfortunately there are no new production rifles chambered in .257.
Just my two cents worth, good luck on finding one.

Another option is to get a Sims limbsaver recoil pad to put on what ever rifle she decides on, they really help with the kick.

I would like to have my wife try a Howa in 7mm08 or 270 however I don't know anyone with one. Want to see if she handled it better.

I would take a Hard, Hard look at the Ruger American, in a 7mm/08. If I already didn't have one in a M77, I'd jump on one in a heart beat. Get a V1, V2 Leupold scope, and Happy Hunting. Toss in an AirTech recoil pad and you're at non-recoil (as possible), shoot just about everything non-toothy, for as far as you ethically should.....all day long !

There is nothing a 270 can do, that a 7mm/08 won't and with less powder, heavier bullets, and down range energy. (minus a couple inches drop)

Last edited:
Since it is for the wife, throw logic and reasoning out with the trash and buy her exactly what she wants.

Winchester Mod. 70 Featherweight in 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser. It will kill anything on this continent although it would be marginal for big bears.. Light, accurate and easy to shoot.

What about Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 270 win? It's on sale and she seems to like it. Good or bad gun? I hear it doesn't have a floated barrel. Does that matter as much?

Thanks,
Montejello

I appreciate it. I know sportsman is having blackfriday deal on Vanguard, however, I may just go with the Tikka since I know she likes it.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back