Caribou Gear

Help me console the wife.

Sabot

She shot at a doe right at sunset this evening. Thought it was a good shot but wasn't sure. About 120 yards. Found fur and a chunk of bone about the size of my index finger. Tracked her for 2 hours finding several more pieces of bone along a very light blood trail. Drops of blood that would stop and start but no big splashes or any indication she hit vitals.

I'm pretty sure she clipped a front leg hard. She's mad at herself and I'm not sure what else to say. I've already told her that these things happen and she didn't do anything unethical.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the old adage, 'misery loves company' is true or not, but I know the pain personally. I think it happens to most hunters at some point, when it does, if it's not upsetting then a person shouldn't be hunting. It goes to show that she has the type of respect for the animal that we all should have.

Happened to my wife a few years ago also, very similar anyway. It will make her a better hunter in the future and help her focus better on shot angles and placements. Not much you can do except say YUP, it Sucks and you're sorry she had to experience that.

Unfortunately it does happen to most of us at some point or another a couple weeks ago I made a piss poor shot on a nice Muley buck here in MT, no excuses laying prone very comfortable shot broadside at under 200 yds. Still don't know what happened, same tracking as you bone chips and a very tough blood trail. I followed blood and would try to get an idea where he was headed and spot him, that didn't work. ended up following the tracks and little bits of blood until I found him
Bedded in the sage and was able to finish him off. It turned a really fun solo hunt into one of those head games wondering how I screwed up so bad. Still can't explain it but if she has the feeling that I had about not making a quick clean kill on an animal, in my mind she is on the right track. If you have can try to follow up in the morning, maybe it will bed up and you can recover.

My advice would be to head out in the morning and pick up where you left off. If she gives it her all in the search she'll have that to hold onto during the most miserable part of any hunt.

Good luck, I know she probably feels the worst. She wasn't the first that this has happened to and she won't be the last.

If we were not up against a hard deadline we would absolutely try again in the morning. This would have been her second deer. She said she is very humbled and sad for the deer. I think that she has the right perspective and will be back at it in the future. Already mentioned trying again next year.

On a slightly happier note, I was bow hunting over the hill from her and whacked a huge boar about 10 minutes before I heard her shot. His blood trail was way easier to follow. I'm guess he's over 150 easy. My broadhead only went 3/4 through. First season bow hunting. First hog with a bow.

I agree with everyone else, it makes you a better hunter in the end, and it happens to everyone. If she has already mentioned next year then I think the major worries are over. Good luck

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back