Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico Unit #52, second rifle.

pointingdogsrule

I drew this tag and I'm getting a little excited. It was my third choice and I realize that it can get crowded and most of the bulls are on the smaller side. With that being.... it's only my second elk hunt (first hunt in Colorado I only saw one cow after walking 6 miles per day for 6 days). I'm much more of a whitetail/antelope hunter.

I've called many people, including "ishootdasmallones" on HUNTTALK and talked to previous hunters about possible elk locations from Huntin' Fool. Lots of great guys willing to share info (from the call list)..

I was toying with the idea of an "outfitter". $1500.00 for tent, meals, a guide that tells you where to go and transportation of the elk back to camp. I've decided to do it myself and set up my own camp. I think it will be more rewarding. Am I dumb for doing this??. I've camped before, while hunting, and never really had any problems. I DO NOT HAVE A WALL TENT, just a four season tent. I am in decent shape and am willing to work hard for the hunt and packing of the animal out.

I hear the roads may get muddy and slick. I was considering buying chains. Ford F-150 with 4 wheel drive. I would hate to get stuck.

Any other suggestions for this hunt would be accepted... VERY HAPPILY :)

If it means anything I will most likely be somewhere west of San Antonio Mt.

Thanks for all the help.

good luck to all
the dog

I hunted that unit for cows with a muzzle loader a couple of years before they took away the option of a cheaper cow hunt. We had a blast there and it is a beautiful unit. The road goes west just on the south side of San Antonio Mt. It is a slow road and I think it took us close to an hour to get into where we camped at 9000 feet. There are elk all over in there, but if the weather is tough, they will be lower no doubt. The road dead ends around timber line on private property if I remember correctly.

If the snow gets bad, you may be overrun with migrating elk coming from the north, from what I have been told. HOWEVER, be prepared for some bad stuff if that happens. The guy that I worked with when I lived in NM showed me the unit. He and his dad and brother nearly died in a blizzard there one year. They panicked and tried to get out when the storm hit. Their camp trailer got stuck and so went their truck. They would have been fine if they had stayed put. They were rescued on snow mobile and their trailer was there for weeks until someone could finally break enough snow to bail it out.

Look at the maps, use caution and have fun. Like you said, the bulls mostly are not that big, but I saw a couple come out of there that were pretty decent. I ran a 6x6 to a kid from Mississippi and he shot it. It was a pretty little 6x6 that most anybody would have been pleased with. .

Unless things have changed, you might want to consider a fishing permit, too. The San Antonio River (read that small stream) has tasty trout in it. We always had a meal of them.

Last edited:
Beautiful area dog, big herd supposedly. I've ridden or driven asphalt thru that part of NM umpteen times. Sounds like a cool adventure you're in for.

Beautiful area dog, big herd supposedly. I've ridden or driven asphalt thru that part of NM umpteen times. Sounds like a cool adventure you're in for.

Thanks, Harley. That's the whole point "cool adventure" and I want it to be that way and come back home safe.

good luck to all
the dog

Doing it on your own inst dumb at all. For me the harvesting of a animal is awesome, but living and enjoying the whole trip is what it is. If I get something that's great, if I don't but gave it 110 percent then oh well............

I camped at the base of Mt. SA and hunted the Mt. during Muzzy season about a dozen years ago.
I was into bulls every day.
Be in good shape to climb up...

I camped at the base of Mt. SA and hunted the Mt. during Muzzy season about a dozen years ago.
I was into bulls every day.
Be in good shape to climb up...

Did you find them on SA Mnt? We never hunted it when we were there, but always wondered if it was good. It always looked good as we drove by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back