Caribou Gear

308 Grain bullet for Elk ?

The Scenar bullets drop 20" more compared to the Winchesters. I was trying to keep comparisons of apples. But for some reason they must not load those as hot. The bullet design must cause higher pressures.

Just a thought, and my opinion. But IMO It doesn't matter how much the slug drops at 400yds, 500yds or 1000yds. We know that with a .308Win shooting at 400+ Yds, There will be drop! As long as we can accurately predict how much, it doesn't matter what the drop in inches is. As long as it is accounted for. An Elk isn't going to know or care if the slug drops an extra 10" or 20" Is it any more difficult to account for 75" instead of 55"? I don't think so.

IMO the important considerations for shooting critters at 400+ yds are Wind deflection, remaining velocity/velocity needed for expansion and consistency of the ammo(accuracy and consistent velocity).

The ballistic superiority of the 180gr slugs may not always be seen in drop alone. But look at wind deflection, and the amount of velocity lost at range.

There are definitely people on this site with Way more experience shooting at long ranges than I have. That being said, I'm just trying to get people to think. Consider all the variables when shooting at 500yds and make your own decisions as to what is important. I can tell you that where I hunt, gusting winds and strange winds around broken terrain create the biggest variable for my shooting. Anything I can do to limit wind deflection is what I want for my hunting loads. I shoot 180's out of my .308Win for hunting, and will really consider going to a 185gr Scenars or VLDs when I start handloading for this rifle. Your opinions may vary.

Shoots, you lost all credibility. Your charts go out 200 yards farther than a 308 is capable of killing.

Oh Jeeezzz, lets complicate this beyond all reasonable recognition and techno-babble it add-infinitum.

Med Caliber. Sectional density .25, or above. Delivers 1500 lbs psi on target. Shoots well enough in your rifle..... GO HUNTING.

Ta-Da :cool:

Last edited:
Hi, All Thanks you all for such great unformation. I did'nt realize the 308 was such a popular elk caliber. I'm a middle of the road type guy when it comes to hunting equipment. That being said and with all the great info hear. I'm going to settle on a 165 grain nosler partition type bullet and keep my shots under 300 yds. Good Luck and Stay Well !! JR

Most the elk killed on the TV episodes have been with 180 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip. My .308s (I have three of them) love 180 grain bullets.

Hi, All Thanks you all for such great unformation. I did'nt realize the 308 was such a popular elk caliber. I'm a middle of the road type guy when it comes to hunting equipment. That being said and with all the great info hear. I'm going to settle on a 165 grain nosler partition type bullet and keep my shots under 300 yds. Good Luck and Stay Well !! JR

Excellent choice.

9 years old, but worth it to see old Top Gun's name again.
Once an active member, always an active member, so it seems. Parking on the interstate and hunting just doesn't get peoples juices flowing like back in his day. I wonder what his take on Wyoming (or any state for that matter) corner crossing might be? :sneaky:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back