Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

CO Muzzleloader Deer/Elk question

huntfishcamp

We applied for GMU444 NR elk and mule deer muzzleloader, backbacking type trip. We Have never tried either one with a muzzleloader but we were looking for something different than normal rifle season. Couple questions if anyone has some thoughts:
- If we get super lucky and get drawn, can one expect to find the two species be in the same general area / elevations / habitat?
-Shopping for a 'medium priced' .50 smokepole, 'waterproof' (as waterproof as a muzldr can be) and reliable are key, suggestions? Have a CVA hunterbolt but going to use as a backup
-Platinum or copper Powerbelts: comments?
-Powder / load favorites?

I can't speak for the unit, but I can chime in on your other queries. I have a CVA Accura that I use for Colorado muzzleloader hunting. It is very accurate and the fiberoptic sights are nice and bright and clear. I use 100 grains of Hogden's Triple 7 and the copper plated hollow point Powerbelt bullets.

I have the Accura V2 and really like it

I use 100 grains of Blackhorn209, Federal 209A primers & 338 platinum powerbelts. I can hit a paper plate at 200 yards with no problem with the open sights

I hunted 444 a few years ago. We hunted a lot of the BLM and National forest that was next to private property. I got a 5x5 elk and a 4 point mule deer. I used the CVA Accura and Power belts. Seemed to be a good combo but then my farthest shot was 21 yards. Good luck!

My Knight Disc Extreme fired just fine after being completely under water for 40 minutes (had to test it since Knight claimed it would fire after being under water and my friend said it wouldnt)!!! I use Hornady FPB's and 100 gr of 777 fffg in CO. I dont care for power belts and have herd alot of stories about them not preforming very well. I also have a Williams peep sight and bead on it and I like them alot better then the factory fiber optic sights.

I have an Accura MR.
I don't have much experience with other muzzleloaders, but I really like this gun.
It's light weight and handy. It shoulders and points like your favorite .22 rimfire.
It's reliable and accurate, mine shoots 2 1/2 " groups at 200 yards.
(note for Colorado, the "MR' model does not come with open sights, you'll need to get some.)

I'm a big fan of BH 209 for powder. For bullets, I would look at "Thor" or Hornady FPBs.
I don't know what it's like in your unit, but I have seen big bucks and bulls within a half mile of each other in Colorado on more than one occasion.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back