Idaho Pioneer Zone

padrebowhunter

Hey everyone,

I'm new to OYOA. I am switching zones in Idaho to the Pioneer Zone. I have never step foot in this zone and I am just looking for some possible pointers on where to start. I will be backpack hunting, but I do have a motorcycle if I need it. Please personal message me if you are willing to help. Thanks

I drove from Salmon to Stanley to McCall to Riggins to Lewiston last week. I saw probably 5,000 elk, 0 wolves.

I just read the regs on some of those zones over there, seems as though there's quite a bit of action around private fields...

Motorized restricted zone, with the Forest service regs no such thing as off trail motorized game retrieval,contrary to what you may see out there.

leave the motorcycle at home. Load up the backpack and hit the highest parts of the unit. Lots of elk, a few deer, and...surprise.... antelope way up high as well.

padrebowhunter,

I have hunted the pioneer unit for the past 2 years and had some good hunting. I have not seen a wolf or tracks. I'm not say their not in there. I have seen elk both years and had my chances both times on bulls. Find an area that is away from roads and up high "above 7500'". There are elk all over this unit!

Bubba19

Quote "There are elk all over this unit!" and may I add:
Five hunters for each and everyone of them!
Which is the case for most of these southern units during archery season. just want you to know what you are up against

Five hunters for each and everyone of them!

The any weapon controlled hunt tag increase and posted archery success rates have made it pretty popular. Even a couple miles in there is a good chance of company and opening day 2 years ago prompted me to join BHA and start taking registration information off the illegal ATV riders that seemed to be everywhere. I have hunted there since I was 12 but I may find a new unit this year.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back