Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Investing in a quality camera

The only quality cameras I've had were 35mm slr's and box cameras...can't find film anymore. Too expensive to use.

There is still film on the internet. I've been having fun with it recently using a cheap slr with my dslr lenses. Definitely more expensive to take lots of photos but kind of interesting in its own right.

Great info gents.

Bokeh - Does the Canon G16 point and shoot have a remote control for trophy picture taking when alone? Thanks in advance.

The G16 has a self-timer with a delay of about 10 seconds. I don't think there is a remote.

There is some great feedback to this post. Guys on this site are very knowledgeable and have a lot of different viewpoints. If indeed you are thinking of investing in a camera system for all around use beyond hunting trips, then I agree that the camera itself is basic and the technology is constantly changing. It's the optics that make it shine, just like binoculars and rifle scopes. Pay more for glass, get better performance. I view my camera bodies as pixel containers (they do get better all the time) and my lenses as the true key to great looking photos and video.

In the end, it's not the wand, it's the wizard. You will make good pictures with any modern camera if you use it correctly and especially if you pay close attention to composition (take an extra moment to look at the scene closely) and the direction of the light. Seriously, quality of light is everything in photography.

And yes, "P" is program mode. It works amazingly well on most cameras these days. I keep my point and shoot on "P" when it's in my pack. I can whip it out, snap a few shots and stuff it back in the pack.

If it's easy to use and light to carry, then you will use it more and years from now you will be happy that you did. I look back now at shots of my boys when they were little and pictures of some great bird dogs that I have been lucky enough to own. That stuff really is priceless. Of course, some of my favorite photos have been taken by my son (who will probably read this) of me holding BIG fish. Too bad I don't have any of him holding big fish. But maybe some day!

There are some great camera review websites avaialabe such as http://www.dpreview.com/
Do a search on the particular camera you are interested in and you'll likely get a good feel for the better cameras with the features you are looking for in your budget range. Obviously you usually get what you pay for with optics....that includes cameras, spotting scopes, and binocs! Photography equipment has come a long ways in recent years!

You may want to go over to the bowsite.com website and look up BB. He takes AMAZING wildlife photos. I'm sure he would be glad to help you out!

All of these choices sound great. If you already have a high quality spotting scope you might look at a phone scope that attaches to your phone and scope. Look on line there are some real nice pictures. I think the web site is "phoneskope.com"

Another suggestion, I seem to get better long distance shots by staying out of the digital zoom. I take them with the optical zoom and then zoom in more on the computer.

Thanks for the tips folks. Good info. I forgot about the P setting deal too. From an old guy with cheep Cannons, sold my 35's and lab equip years ago.
buddy said to use a smartphone.................and phonescope. Now if I can just figure that out,LOL.

Last edited:
i stopped carrying a camera when i upgraded to a better "smart" phone. mine has a 21MB camera with tons of effects/options a 4or5x zoom and does great pano's. the extra weight, batteries and care of a camera much like my gps has been left behind by newer phones. plus after a week solo in backcountry its nice to listen to some music at night or even watch a movie, cant do that with a camera.

I did alot of research after looking for about the same thing OP was,with what little I do know .
I just picked up a Canon sx160 is 16x optical zoom/16mp. $99 with,bag,charger,sdmicro,rechargable AA batteries.
I wanted small.light,long range able decent quality hunt & outdoors NM camera. Inexpensive.
I just took some pics this morning on my walk and they came out pretty good so far with the advice on how to w/digital info folks above posted.
I took one low zoom shot standing @ mesa behind me from 1/4 mi away. Downloaded to pc and I could see not only a survey stake but the sticks on the ground ,clearly.Wow,what a difference a decent camera makes. I'll post some pics of critters,the cattle ones I took from 400 yrds away I could see wiskers on them zoomed in on pc.
The anvil mtn is Alegres Mtn,in background in several of Randy's OWOA NM hunts.
Only peak in lower 48 above 10k that is all private,not gov......trivia.

Attachments

• canon sx160 `1st pics 047.jpg
    canon sx160 `1st pics 047.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 103
  • canon sx160 `1st pics 029.jpg
    canon sx160 `1st pics 029.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 103
  • canon sx160 `1st pics 046.jpg
    canon sx160 `1st pics 046.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 102
  • canon sx160 `1st pics 023.jpg
    canon sx160 `1st pics 023.jpg