Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What has hunting become?

greenhorn, there is most every year some deer taken in NE Mt. that are 190-200....but there is not much done in the way of hunting those "illegal immigrant bucks"...fastest pickup truck and shooting skills are what wins those bucks....not hunting skills.

Eric, I'm sure any buck that is taken up there by others, could never involve the "hunting skills" required to write a check to an outfitter and hop in their ranch truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Eric. I think you were thinking of me and not JLS. I am not disappointed a that you are often right but that all of that money could only buy a buck that I would consider average by the standards of twenty years ago. As for your opinions, I often agree with them.
I have found that the ease of hunting in an aria has more of do with the size of the bucks than nutrition. Bucks that have the genetics to grow 200 inches will grow at least 165 to 175 inch antlers at age 3 1/2 and better that 180 at age 4 1/2. All off the outfitters I know, even the ones with the best management programs like Diamond Cross have a hard time letting a buck like that live 2 or 3 more years. The best bucks from the Diamond Cross are often taken well back in the hills were deer numbers are low and hunting is much more difficult than looking over the hundreds of deer on the river bottom.

antlerradar

greenhorn...why so bombastic? I never claimed that my hunts were difficult. All I stated is that the hunting along the Canadian border is not really "hunting" it is out running and out shooting the competition. I ought to know I used to hunt there enough. Consistently take better than average bucks off the CMR, along Ft. Peck...well then you are doing something.

Check writing, now there is some skill involved w/ that...somehow, somewhere, somebody worked hard and earned enough to write those checks. :)

antler, the disappointed comment was meant totally in jest, and did not mean to confuse you w/ someone else.

Last edited:
oh my can't believe I missed all this on vacation!

Where does the MT gov deer permit sell at?

Last edited:
jr...for the state of Montana, that is an above average animal, and I do not think it will drive up the price, unfortunately.

greenhorn, you looked at my web page?

I've spent exactly one day in Montana deer hunting and with a pair of binos saw at least 2 deer in that same "rack bracket"

Last edited:
makes Montana look like a bargain at $9k(until you look at quality)....anyone hear what the Gov's tag brought this year(in Mt)?

390k..does not sound like that much, kinda like a million...million dollars does not sound like much....'til you owe it....

makes Montana look like a bargain at $9k(until you look at quality)....anyone hear what the Gov's tag brought this year(in Mt)?

390k..does not sound like that much, kinda like a million...million dollars does not sound like much....'til you owe it....

You apparently have not seen some of the bucks killed by past governors tag holders.
Is the mule deer shoots posted not " quality"?

makes Montana look like a bargain at $9k(until you look at quality)

I'm guessing the "quality" of that buck had a lot to do with Colorado's filming schedule. Best buck they could kill on camera in the two days Mr. Buck allotted for filming is my guess.

I'm still not buying it. It has to be a joke. No way would anybody shoot an animal like that on an auction permit. I'm sure there's some "reason" for it that will be elaborated on the Colorado Buck show.. it was wounded, starving, a mercy killing, he needed to get home to kiss his family, it was a war vet's last wish to see him shoot this buck, something. For sure. That, or a it's just a pretty well done prank.

I'm still not buying it. It has to be a joke. No way would anybody shoot an animal like that on an auction permit. I'm sure there's some "reason" for it that will be elaborated on the Colorado Buck show.. it was wounded, starving, a mercy killing, he needed to get home to kiss his family, it was a war vet's last wish to see him shoot this buck, something. For sure. That, or a it's just a pretty well done prank.

No way it could have been a mercy killing. Guys like that who pay so much money to shoot
the biggest buck have no scruples. He's propbably going to sue his guide for telling him to shoot a very average buck.
I watched Colorado Buck tv show ONCE. What a clown! I wouldn't pay a nickle to someone with hair like that and thinks he looks good!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back