Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Backpacking tent

Another vote for the GoLite ShangriLa series. I believe I have the 4 or 5. I love it. It was relatively inexpensive, goes up quick, and is roomy in both headroom and floor space.

Backpack Tent??

MTbowhunter,
I DIY archery season elk and go with a bivy sack & rain fly. lighter than any tent. I stay just as dry when it rains or snows, yes sometimes it snows in sept in Idaho, and don't have to set up a tent every night where i stop hiking for the day is where I sleep.
A Bivy sack does fine to keep dew & frost off me, it stuffs right into the compression bag with the sleep bag. Have had occassion when i didn't expect a rain, and the bivy alone keept me dry & comfy. I have recently added a lightweight inflateable pad for comfort. Since i am not packing a tent i justified that added weight for myself, heh-heh!

I got my tax returns last week so I dropped the hammer on a Seek Outside Backcountry Shelter. It is a 3-4 man tent with a stove jack. It should come out to 3lb 8oz with the aluminum pole and stakes. They have several smaller options like the Beyond Timber which is well below 2lbs but requires the use of a trekking pole and possible extension. I chose the BackCountry shelter because I liked the option of adding a stove, being able to stand up in it, and it has 2 entry points which is handy for multiple people. I'll admit the tent is a bit pricey. I have chosen the LiteOutdoors Titanium 8"x18" stove.

I use a cabelas XPG 2-man and I aint saying its the best but it dam sure works thru some pretty nasty weather and have zero doubt on its quality. weight can be trimmed by just using fly on warm nights but as designed I have used it in 2' of snow with good results

Anyone have any experience with the Big Agnes WY trail 2? Little heavier than I would like. Main feature I like is the large vestibule. One of the things I'm looking for is enough room to stay dry and cook in.

In my experience Big Agnes makes good products. I've never used the WY trail but it looks to have mixed reviews. At 9lbs, I think I'd look for something else a little lighter for backpacking. I'd look at one of the several Tipis available or if you can find a used Shangri La for sale.

Like I posted before, I kept coming back to SeekOutside tents. Their larger tents are pricey and have gone up in price since I purchased mine but you may want to look at their Beyond Timberline, Cimmaron, or Little Bugout Shelter. They should be big enough to store gear and cook for 1 person. If you have 2 people I'd suggest their BackCountry or 4-person tipi

Back