Need advice on accuracy

To each his own. Can't see developing good form while a rest holds the rifle. I've also read claims that the lack of movement in the rest stresses the stock. mtmuley

Last edited:
The reason I was using a lead sled was to try to promote consistency in developing these loads. I wanted to take as much human error out of it as possible and have a dead steady rest. I will try the next batch both off of bags and without strapping the rifle barrel to the sled. It sounds like this could be the problem.

If it's a factory rifle with no mods, that may be as good as you're going to get.

In addition to the above advice:

1. Make sure you are letting the rifle cool down between shots.
2. Check your bullet seating depth. Your bullet should not be more than .001" off the lands and grooves.

Oops, this was a typo, I meant a ten thousandths (.010), not a one thousandth (.001).

The reason I was using a lead sled was to try to promote consistency in developing these loads. I wanted to take as much human error out of it as possible and have a dead steady rest. I will try the next batch both off of bags and without strapping the rifle barrel to the sled. It sounds like this could be the problem.

One thing that I found really helped tighten up my groups was to practice my set up before I went to the range. Figure out how your going to set up your sand bags, practice holding on target, breathing, trigger squeeze, just like you were at the range.

If you switch to sandbags, a rear shooting bag is a worthwhile investment. I've had better luck using sand bags than I have with bipods or other devices.

I had a lead sled knock off that I used for a while, and it worked well. But I now use an adjustable front (Caldwell, The Rock) and fixed rear rest with a PAST recoil pad for my shoulder and I feel far more comfortable and and get in a truer shooting position.

To each his own. Can't see developing good form while a rest holds the rifle. I've also read claims that the lack of movement in the rest stresses the stock. mtmuley

"Claims" are always a problem. I have shot a lot of rounds with heavy rifles and light ones and have never had a stock issue. The rest moves. It is not rock solid. You have to reset after shooting.

Try it before passing judgment on "claims". Good form is developed from a solid rest, not standing off-hand and shooting. The lead sled is no different than good sandbags when developing good form. The only difference is that you are not getting pounded so much that you start flinching. Flinching does not promote good form. .

sb, I have tried rigid rests. I can see how some might like them for load developement. To me, they are awkward, and I have a couple real hard kickers. You're right, a claim is just that. I've seen guys at the range display some really interesting form trying to get behind one of these rests though. I'm a front rest, rear bag shooter. mtmuley

Your sled is fine, just leave the weight out of it so it's really nothing but a rest. Keep your left hand off the rifle.

"Claims" are always a problem. I have shot a lot of rounds with heavy rifles and light ones and have never had a stock issue. The rest moves. It is not rock solid. You have to reset after shooting.

Try it before passing judgment on "claims". Good form is developed from a solid rest, not standing off-hand and shooting. The lead sled is no different than good sandbags when developing good form. The only difference is that you are not getting pounded so much that you start flinching. Flinching does not promote good form. .

Flinching definately does not promote good shooting, or form. But, for me being able to get comfortable behind the rifle and be be able to repeat that position is also important.

I shot off a stoney point "bench rest" Lead sled knock off for several years, and it was seriously difficult to maintain proper shooting form for me. The issue for me, was that the rest sat so tall on the bench, and with the way the benches were designed at this range, I couldn't get my shoulder behind the rifle while sitting at the bench. I would have to stand behind the bench somewhat hunched over to get my shoulder behind the rifle, and definitely had issues with consistency. I ditched this rest, and now shoot from the prone off a bipod with a rear bag. Each range, and the design of the benches will vary, but shooting off sandbags; or a bipod with a rear bag for me tends to be far more universal than a fixed rest to get a comfortable and repeatable position behind the rifle.

I'm in no way trying to say that no-one should shoot off a bench rest, just to provide alternate insight to help folks find a comfortable way to shoot off a bench. For me shooting off a lead sled knock off was noticeably different than shooting off bags, simply because it was more difficult to find a repeatable position to shoot from, if you can get comfortable behind one, they are a fantastic tool to reduce recoil when used properly. Other's results may vary.

This isn't heresay as I've seen/worked on a number of rifles that have been shot off a solid recoil rest for an extended time. (i.e Lead sled)

Using one of these types of rests has a lot to do with the weight of the rifle, thickness of barrel, amount of recoil/muzzle jump and from my experience the quality of the rifle bedding as well as the scope mounts/rings. I'm not going to say this type of rest is good or bad - everyone has their opinion and tolerance for recoil.

I will bet you that if you zero using a solid rest there is a very high % chance that you will have a POI difference shooting prone or free hand. I will also tell you that you will test your rifle bedding and scope mounting system many times more than shooting a rifle free recoil.

If a lead sled type of rest is your deal - go for it.

Agree100% Dale and if you have a big boomer with a wood stock in that cradle loaded down with weight so it can't move back upon recoil, sooner or later that stock is going to be toast. I've seen pictures on the net where guys have done that and cracked the stock near the tang when the rifle could not move back. It's the old "where's there's an action there's an equal and opposite reaction" physics deal. When that can't occur sooner or later there will be damage of some sort and it may be minor or major depending on the gun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back