Judging Pronghorn

Curious in how much difference there is in antelope skull and body size.

Some of those bucks Eli posted look to be very stocky and broadheaded, and as a result I under estimate them.

Even if you did get 3 mass measurements under the prong, still would be in the low 70's best case.

Quit saying mean things about my buck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 295
Nice ones!
I haven't hunted them in years. 30+ never here in NM.
I should, judging from what I have seen around my area. And getting a guide on judging size from some pros here............no wonder my unit is closed to increase herds.
Most of the bucks I see are real big then and good stock.

Possible Nevada draw with 2 points

Look at unit 11 in the North Western corner of Nevada. I drew the unit with 2 points and scored a nice lope. Bummer about Nevada is the 5 year wait if you harvest.

Living in southwest Wyoming I tend to think I can judge 'em pretty good but a couple of those bucks were definitely deceiving with a few of those pics. I'd imagine if you watch 'em for a minute though and get that angle you're looking for you throw your binoculars on the dash and scramble out of the truck at mach 3.

A few yrs back up near jordan MT 2 buddies and I were on a bluff watching a big group of goats the last week of the season. We could see there were several big goats in the group and they were all moving towards up. We had the entire herd (40 or so) come right past the bluff. We had draw straws to see who got 1st shot. I drew last shot. Both my buddies passed this goat up even with me telling them it was a giant. They kept saying he wasnt tall enough. LOL . We were Llitterally argueing about if there were shooters in the group as they were walking past at 150 yards. I finally said get out of the way then, and shot him at 300 yards AFTER they had walked past.

He ended up netting 82 2/8ths and grossing just under 83. He was "only" 14 7/8th tall on the long horn but he had 7 1/8" bases and 7" cutters. I shot another off the same ranch 2 yrs later that went 76" but only had 4" cutters but also had 7" bases

I laughed the rest of the trip about them passing up a B &C goat in MT. Then spent the time trying to educate them on Mass + cutters then worry about length

Last edited:
Forget the goat, whats this shirt score???? walking birth control right there!....man I miss having hair

Last edited:
Those are some great antelope there phutch! The shirt and flowing locks are also quite stylish.

almost 20 yrs ago!!! HA I love the pic of that shirt. what was I thinkin.

that was eastern MT in the late 90's...was a little dry that yr. That was the best goat we found.

Greenhorn I KNOW you have some pics of big goats. Post them up

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back