Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

February - Muskrat month

Hunter&Huntress you can use a piece of lath and cut a wood wedge to slide down and hold the conibear in a pinch. Not as fancy as Randys set up but you might already have the supplies around to give it a try.

Had to pull the last half of the traps on Sunday. Wish I could have kept them soaking, as the rats were really starting do a lot of traveling. In the final 11 traps I pulled, I had 9 rats. The total for that day was 13 and the total for this little line over the two weeks it was out came to 157 muskrats. They are all skinned, fleshed, and dried.

IMG_3753.JPG

You could make yourself a nice blanket with that many rats.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this letter crittergetter's son wrote for his school work. Having kids along was surely one of the highlights of that two week trapping gig. Gonna have to give him a little pocket change when these furs get sold. Might even have him tag along when the beaver become my target in a few weeks.

10347094_10202514106134104_258751214363308539_n.jpg

Muskrat in a trap- $8. Trapping in a young man's blood- priceless. Well done Big Fin! You're making a big impact on a lot of young kids. My daughter took her Hunttalk hat, the pellet gun and one of my calls back in the woods yesterday on her own to try and call in a coyote. She called in the neighbor's dog. :) At least she knows she making the right sounds.

thought you guys would get a kick out of this letter crittergetter's son wrote for his school work. Having kids along was surely one of the highlights of that two week trapping gig. Gonna have to give him a little pocket change when these furs get sold. Might even have him tag along when the beaver become my target in a few weeks.

View attachment 46239

like!:D

Uncle Mike came out from Minnesota on Wednesday and joined me as I went on beaver patrol. First day check was pretty good - 26 rats. Second day check was not as good, only 13 rats. No pics from either day. Had left the camera at home.

Third day check was really good; 28 rats and one lunker beaver.
IMG_3768.JPG

Beaver set - Before
IMG_3762.JPG
IMG_3761.JPG

Beaver set - After
IMG_3758.JPG

On his way back from Idaho, Uncle Mike was able to tag along for the check on Day Four. Two big beaver, one mink, and eleven rats.
IMG_3775.JPG

Beaver set - Before
IMG_3772.JPG

Beaver set - After
IMG_3770.JPG

So far this year I am at 235 rats. These landowners keep asking me to trap their beaver, which maybe I should charge for, but given they let me trap their muskrats, that is fair enough. Not sure if this skinning work is worth the fun of catching them.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this letter crittergetter's son wrote for his school work. Having kids along was surely one of the highlights of that two week trapping gig. Gonna have to give him a little pocket change when these furs get sold. Might even have him tag along when the beaver become my target in a few weeks.

View attachment 46239

Funny kid humor.:D

To bad the rats aren't worth very much. Our buyer said he would only give us $3.75 each. It is lots of fun though.

Wow. They must have gone down quite a bit as they were going for quite a bit more than that just a couple of years ago.

Years when the price for fur is down like this year ,I will send some in for tanning . Always able to sell nice tanned beaver,coon and coyote furs. when I am skinning small beavers I often flip the carcass over on its belly and fillet out the backstraps and thighs . They can be pan fried like venison steaks or slow cooked . The big ones can be kinda tough . Also the castor glands are way up in price this year , some consolation for low fur prices is less competition on public land. Thanks for the cool pics Fin. Turning kids on to trapping is awesome.
John

Man oh man does that ever look like fun!

Used to trap fox and coon when I was growing up but have never gotten back into it since moving away. I would LOVE to tag along with someone again some day.

Thanks for sharing yet another of your adventures with us Randy!

Back