Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

American Sniper - Movie

Good movie.
Some Hollywood moments though it is good to see his story extend beyond paperback.

I enjoyed the movie, but enjoyed the book even more. The parts written by his wife are extremely powerful and really convey what they went through as a family.

My wife and I finally went to see the movie yesterday. Like others have said, it's a great movie and the funeral scene put a lump in my throat and I believe I even had a tear trying to emerge! But one thing that almost put me over the edge was, there was an elderly gentleman who no doubt was a veteran from his apparel (veteran hat), stood there off to the side in the darkness of the theater during the credits/funeral scene, saluting and wiping tears. I almost lost it as soon as I noticed him!

It was a great movie about a great hero. I don't understand why he would call his wife and then hang up on her and worry the shit out of her. He shouldn't have called then? Any comments on this from those who were there? Did you do that to your family?

Remember the shot at the beginning ,,,,"based on a true story"

"BASED"

It was a great movie about a great hero. I don't understand why he would call his wife and then hang up on her and worry the shit out of her. He shouldn't have called then? Any comments on this from those who were there? Did you do that to your family?

I have not watched the movie, but I would assert that he was probably caught in the catch 22 of wanting to talk to his wife more than anything, but knowing if he did the worry he would cause. Regardless of the number of people around you 24/7 when overseas, it can still be really lonely. I could understand if that is what was trying to be conveyed.

Tom, if you are talking about the scene where he is on the sat phone and they get ambushed that was not a very probable situation because he would not be on the sat phone while rolling to an objective. That being said, I had a situation where I was on the sat phone with my wife during some down time in a city called Hit when we started getting mortared. Wife asked what that sound was and in the most (probably not) convincing, not worried tone I could manage I came up with some lame explanation and said I had to go. Overall I was not impressed with the movie because of how they bastardized the story and did not stay true to the book in my opinion. But having been in some serious fights during the upper Euphrates campaign in 05 (roughly 60% of my platoon was killed or wounded in 4 days on one operation near the Syrian border which was the beginning of a steady stream of casualties for the rest of our deployment. In another week and a half span we lost 21 Marines) I can honestly say that It's not possible to make a movie realistic enough for me to say "that's what it was like".

God bless you man!
I will call you, Legend
, PJ - Take care a good hunting man and appreciate your service!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back