Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hilleberg Tents?

rutdog

I have been all over this site for a few years but have never posted. I am fairly new to hunting (3 years now) and have found that the more trips I go on, the importance of top notch gear makes a difference. I am looking for tried and true responses in regards to hilleberg tents. I am considering the following: akto, soulo and nallo 2 gt.

I'd like to hear from those who have experience with any of the above tents. Sometimes I backpack in but I also set up camp and just hike in for the hunt and return to camp. Is the nallo 2 gt overkill for myself and would I be crazy to back pack in a tent of that size solo? I appreciate any and all comments.

I'm learning every year and can't wait for my upcoming Idaho deer hunt this year. Never been to Idaho before and want to be ready for whatever mother nature throws my way. I also will be hunting in California (X3B zone) which I hear can have some crazy weather as well.

Pros vs Cons? I did see two other hilleberg posts on this site but I believe they were dated back to 2009. Just curious if hilleberg has changed any of their designs since then with the 3 models listed.

I have learned a lot from this site in the past three years and appreciate everyones comments.

I've been using the Nallo 2 GT for four years. Excellent tent. Been in nasty winds and never had a problem. Last year, we had 65mph winds on a MT elk hunt and never had an issue. Very durable and a good weight for as much room as it has.

If I was going way back, I would probably opt for something more spares and lighter. I have probably spent over 100 nights in this one, the last being a spring bear hunt to AK with six straight days of torrential rain. We completely dry and comfortable. The large vestibule of the tent is really helpful when you have rain, snow, or moisture issues.

This was during our MT mule deer hunt late October of last year.

IMG_1764.JPG

Probably some other really good tents out there. Given the conditions I have put my 2 GT and 4 GT through and the comfort provided, I struggle to see myself using any other tent brand.

Big Fin, thanks for the quick reply. I have been seriously eyeing the 2 GT. How does it hold up when snow is coming down and you are away from camp? I have heard it doesn't handle snow loading very well, but I figured unless I was in a torrential snow storm it should handle it just fine.

Big Fin, thanks for the quick reply. I have been seriously eyeing the 2 GT. How does it hold up when snow is coming down and you are away from camp? I have heard it doesn't handle snow loading very well, but I figured unless I was in a torrential snow storm it should handle it just fine.

That's for someone else to answer. I've only used it in snow a few times. This pic being one of those times. As you can see, it snowed about 4" the night prior and the tent was still standing in good shape. Given how it has stood up to everything else, I suspect it would handle snow as good or better than most other tents of similar size and design, but I cannot state that as fact.

I believe the nallo 2 gt fits my style much better than the other hilleberg tents. I really like the vestibule setup from the pics I have been able to find. Have you encountered any real issues with condensation that others say is a big problem with the nallo 2gt? Have you set it up without the inner tent and found it to be roomy enough for 3 people?

A Nallo will handle most snow just fine, maybe not wet heavy snow as well, but almost anything you will run into during the fall should be fine. You would only need the Suolo if your doing extreme hunts and camping in very exposed areas like knife ridges and the like. For most people, the Akto would be the pick for backpacking, they even lightened it significantly this year. The Nallo will do well, but if you backpack a lot, its heavier then many other good options.

I believe the nallo 2 gt fits my style much better than the other hilleberg tents. I really like the vestibule setup from the pics I have been able to find. Have you encountered any real issues with condensation that others say is a big problem with the nallo 2gt? Have you set it up without the inner tent and found it to be roomy enough for 3 people?

No condensation issues. Are they not using some of the venting when they are getting that condensation?

Never tried it without the inner tent. Seems that would defeat a lot of the purpose of this tent design, but I guess if more space was desired and a few less ounces, that could be done.

Not a chance it could be used for three adults, unless those three people have a more comfortable relationship than I have with my hunting friends. It is a great one-man set up. Two would be tight, but doable if no one had serious hygiene issues. Three would require some comfort level of intimate physical contact with the other two occupants.

Nallo 2GT as well. Have not had a flake of snow on it so only can attest to late summer and early fall weather use. Amazingly easy to set up. The vestibule is great for boots, etc. Plenty of vents so condensation should not be any worse than comparable-sized tents used side by side in a test. I have backpacked in 5 miles with the Nallo and was worth every drop of sweat to have a spacious tent at the end of each day.

Good luck on your hunts.

I have the Akto, i looked at the Nallo but although the better choice it was out of my budget, the Akto isn't exactly cheap but is fine for you if you are after a 4 season one man tent.
If you make use the vents it cuts down the condensation issues but won't completely eliminate them.
Plenty of videos on Youtube so you can compare the two.
Cheers
Richard

It's tough to beat Hillebergs and the Nallo 2 is a fantastic tent! My choice would be the larger Nallo 2. It's nice to have the additional room for all your stuff...especially in bad weather. If you want to go super light weight take just the fly, 2 poles..and possibly painters plastic floor. The Nallo 2 fly is likely sturdier than many tents! You won't be disappointed! Hillebergs are standard in Alaska where high winds, rain, and snow are standard!

With that said, if you can't afford a Nallo 2 you might consider the Exped Aries Mesh. It is an identical style to the Nallo but a chunk cheaper in price. I have the Exped and have used it on multiple Alaska and other Western US trips without a problem. Another option for super light weight tent is the Scarpa tarp tent. They are less $, super light, and have rave reviews. I

Hillebergs have a solid lifetime warantee and if you can afford it that's what I'd do.

Anyone know if the floor on the nallo 2gt is strong enough to use the thermarest ultra light cot on it? a little afraid of it tearing a hole in the floor. I usually use a thermarest mat, but was considering a cot for the times when I am camping where the truck is and don't have to hike all my gear in.

If I spent that much on a tent I would be a bit spooked about puncturing a hole through the floor with cot legs. I'm not sure how much clearance you would have between your cot and the roof? You might be able to put something on the cot legs to protect the floor but you might have a leaky floor if you wear through some of the waterproofing? If you use the fly without the tent body you wouldn't have to worry about the floor.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Hilleberg tents. Something to think about with the Nallo, the Nallo3 only weights a few ounces more than the Nallo2. This is why I bought the Nallo3. I have also used the Akto in a lot of conditions. Great tents.

I sure would be pissed to poke a hole in a tent this pricey. Just wasnt sure if anyone has been able to use the cot and not have a problem. I don't plan on being the guy who tests the floor strength. Thanks for the reply.

If your using a cot next to the truck, just get some scrap carpet to go under the cot. Heck, a couple of cheap door mats would work too. Lots of ways to protect the floor if your close to truck and don't have to pack it on your back.

That said, the one time I used a cot seemed much colder than sleeping on the ground. I don't mind the ground all that much.

Nallo-Cons

The one door with two people is a pain at times, seems like your brother always steps on your sleeping bag trying to get out. My wife does not like the Nallo at all because of this.

I have seen a lot of condensation in the GT vestibule when set up on wet ground or in a tight valley in the summer. Setting it up so the thermal blows through the vents is key.

The place we set up here was ideal as the thermal squeezed through the canyon and kept everything dry in the regular Nallo

Other wise any of those tents will weather out some serious stuff!

In hindsight I'd also second Greenhorn's comments about the 3 vs 2 unless you enjoy someone right up in your grill all night.

Thanks for the insight Dinkshooter. Just wanting to make sure money is well spent so any and all comments good or bad about the tent is greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I will go for the nallo 2gt. Seems like it has what i'm looking for more so than the other tents and with all the comments, I should be able to handle similar problems by using all of the advice given so far. No tent is perfect, so I guess its the risk we take.

Thanks again.

I'll just second what others have mentioned and recommend the extended vestibule version. Only Nallo model I've used was the Nallo 4GT. I own a different model Hilleberg with the extended vestibule. Now when I use different tents with a 'regular' vestibule they seem tiny and greatly lacking in space.

Back