MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Lightweight Tripod

bowhuntmontana

I have been researching lightweight tripods a little bit for backpack hunts. I am interested in what you would recommend. I have been looking at the Slik 624CF and like it so far, but it is a little pricey. I am thinking carbon rather than aluminum. Thinking I want to top whatever I go with with an Outdoorsman's pistol grip mount. I know there have to be some guys on here who have gone through this same decision trying to get a good, lightweight, compact tripod. Please share recommendations, opinions and reasoning.

Thanks.

I should have asked what you will have on top of it? For a bigger scope (80-90mm / 15-17in long) I like having a handle on the head for panning. It seems to make it a little more controlable for fine adjustments, but this is just my personal preference. IMO, If you are looking at 65mm or smaller, I wouldn't hesitate on a ball head.

I bought the Sinno from Schmaltz too. Really liked it after taking time to get used to how it works. It doesn't leave my pack anymore!

I won one of the outdoorsmans medium tripods with the pistol grip head. I felt so bad topping such a nice tripod with my crappy old spotting scope that I upgraded my spotting scope! ;)

I really like it, but not sure I would have spent the $500ish that it would have cost to buy it. (Considering that my old spotting scope was a bushnell that I paid $300 for). Very durable and simple.

Slik Sprint Pro EZ for me. It's no beauty but it's light and cheap enough I don't baby it in the least. I'm sure some of these other suggestions are as good or better. I'm not used to nice tripods, which helps. :)

OYOAPOD is a coupon code for $20 off the Sinno tripod on predatoroptics.info
Not a super light tripod but very well made for the price and the ball head is very smooth.

Light weight tripod....

I bought a Vanguard carbon fiber last year off of Camofire, for just under 200, and it is AWESOME!!!! Came with the pan head, and is light too, I believe about 1 1/2 lbs. I have seen them on there recently for like 189.00. I have two buddies that bought them after they saw mine, and the are very happy with them as well.

Just my .02
Jbo

Purchased the Sinno. It arrived yesterday and I have been working with it today. Not ultralight, but much lighter than my previous setup. I like the ball head on it. Can't beat the price for the quality and it is very compact. Thanks again for the deal Schmaltz!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back