Idaho goat tag!!!!!

Gweb85

I tryed the longshot this year and put in for a goat hunt. To my suprise i actually got my tag for unit 43. I fell like i have won the lottery!!!

Has anyone else had any luck drawing any OIL tags?

Congrats! I can't help on goat locations. You might call Nampa IDF&G and talk with them. Goats tend to stay on the same general rocky areas.

No specific Idaho info for you but look for the highest elevations in your hunting unit. That is a good start. The billy goats tend to have a yellow aura on the back third which is easy to spot if they are up in the snow or ice. If you see more than 3 goats together then most likely are not males. Do not judge the horns by comparing to the ear and the bases by comparing to the eye socket. Goats tend to be in proportion so ear comparisons fail. Helps if more than one goat standing next to each other but may be a band of young males so the largest may not be as large as you think. Instead, look for a goofy looking head. Old males get jug heads. You are going to have a memorable hunt!

Thnaks everyone!
I am really excited for this hunt, and am looking forward to keeping everyone posted with this adventure. Also thanks for all the tips and info, this will be my first goat hunt and any info will be gratly appriciated. I plan on getting into the area as much as possible before the hunt. I have also picked out 2 specific mountains to start. both peak out at about 10000' and i hope i get some good views up there.

Well im finally getting some time to head out and scout this weekend, and a couple days next week. I cant wait to get in the mountains and see what i can find. Ill post any findings.

Good luck! Look forward to seeing your findings. I'll be in that country glassing goats and comparing spotting scopes next weekend.

I ended up only having one day to scout during the trip, so i decided to hike norton peak. Saw some awesome country from the top and saw one billy. (ill get the pictures up soon) Im planning on heading up there again in August and dedicating that time to scouting. On a side note, we did see a couple nice sized elk heards in the valley, tons of antelope and a couple deer.

Good luck! From the sounds of it you're making the most out of that tag and I'm sure all the prep work will pay off in the end. Keep the pics coming, that's great looking country.

Hard to tell but that goat looks decent! Good luck this weekend. Keep us posted.

Looks like you found some billies! That deer looks pretty good too. You going to wait for hair or knock one down early?

All three look mature, where you able to tell who was the biggest? That buck is pretty good for that unit. He appears to have good fronts. Make a stalk on him, maybe even one of the Billies while your at it!

big bodied for sure! Are you going to shoot one early or wait for them to hair out a bit?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back