Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

.260 load

Muskeez

I have never reloaded rifle cartridges before. I bought a Lee Classic Reloader kit. For now I will likely just reload .260 rounds for our Rem. Model Seven. I am wondering if anyone would like to share a good "recipe" that they have found for their .260 ? I am totally green and would even need to know what primer to use and what length you recommend starting with. I can adjust that as I go and see what my gun likes. I have 3 women plus myself that will be shooting this gun for antelope in WY. I need a good load for the hunting application, but not a super charged one that will buck too hard. On the other hand they have shot the factory loads a lot and have shot a LOT of .50 muzzleloader, so they aren't total sissies either. Thanks for any advise on a couple loads to try!!

You're probably best starting off with a couple manuals...Lyman, Hornady, and Nosler are my picks. Check out Hodgdon's website for loading also. I'd probably start in the 129 or 130 grain range but don't overlook the 140grain bullets. Buy a good hunting bullet and I'd stay away from the all copper bullets if you are just starting out reloading (too many variables to mess with). You don't need a "bonded" bullet but you want more than a thin copper jacket. I tend to prefer Hornady and Nosler bullets

Use standard rifle primers (I prefer Federal) unless the load book recommends using magnum primers. For powder, you may want to take a look at the local stores to see what is even available and check your books for compatibility. H4350 is my "go to" in 308 based cartridges but there are a ton out there that will do as good or better.

FYI Lee Saf-T scales are not very accurate so you may want to invest a few bucks in something a bit more accurate. Hornady would be my pick.

while it can be an issue with any bullet, mostly seating depth and OAL. Do you load touching rifling or jumpto the lands (how far is that jump)? is there enough room in the magazine for the long for weight bullets? If not will bullet seating depth create pressure issues early? Expansion issues on smaller animals or at distance? proper rifling twist for long bullets? It just seems like too many variables to mess with right out of the gates.

Don't get me wrong copper bullets will kill just as well as lead core...heck I use Factory Second E-tips in one of my rifles. It took a long time to get it to shoot sub 1.5" groups.

The Nosler 120gr E-Tip, or Ballistic Tip, have pretty good coeffients (.46-.5), and a good SD (.25). Perfectly suited for deer and Lopes. Varget, RL15, or 4064 all have a low load density, yet still provide acceptable velocities, and over 1200 lbs of energy out to 350yds, or more.

At least that is where I'd start.

http://www.nosler.com/260-remington

while it can be an issue with any bullet, mostly seating depth and OAL. Do you load touching rifling or jumpto the lands (how far is that jump)? is there enough room in the magazine for the long for weight bullets? If not will bullet seating depth create pressure issues early? Expansion issues on smaller animals or at distance? proper rifling twist for long bullets? It just seems like too many variables to mess with right out of the gates.

Don't get me wrong copper bullets will kill just as well as lead core...heck I use Factory Second E-tips in one of my rifles. It took a long time to get it to shoot sub 1.5" groups.

Seating depth is bullet geometry issue not a composition issue. :D

4350 is very popular and a lot of folks have had very good success with RL17.

If you are just getting into reloading your best bet is to buy a couple manual's go to the sites of the powder you are considering and see if they have some published loads for you to consider. Please always start low and I wouldn't worry about anything other than the standard OAL for now.

Good advice here.

I would add to get a Hornady manual and try to find some Hornady Interlocks. I have never found a rifle that will not shoot them. They are not all that expensive and they will HAMMER deer and antelope.

You do not need the expensive premium all-copper bullets. They are more of an advantage with elk etc., but even then, are not necessary. They are more finicky in some rifles, also.

The seating depths listed in the Hornady manual seem to be right on for me as far as seating depth and generally, one grain of powder under max is usually a very good accuracy load.

Read everything that you can find on the general points of reloading. Make sure that you have a case trimmer and keep the cases below max length. I use Lee case trimmers and they work great, but whatever kind you have/get, it is a necessary piece of equipment.

Also, do lots of reading specifically for what pressure signs are. If you stay below max loads, it should never be an issue, but you still need to recognize them.

Once you get into reloading, you will be addicted and will not want to buy any more factory crap.

I do not load the .260 (though, I wish that I had one), but all the steps stay the same. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to help you out as much as I can.

Muskeez,

Glad to hear that you got set up for loading. Unfortunately my own 260 M7 load testing has been on hold for a while, first due to shooting bans because of fire danger, and now due to the fact that it's in the shop getting some work done. Hopefully in a couple few weeks I can add some more specifics.

For now I'll second some of the general recommendations that have been offered. A lot, and I mean a lot of guys like H4350 in the 260. If you can find it, definitely give it a try. The other powder that I've had recommended a lot is H4831. From second hand, not personal experience, H4350 does a bit better for velocity, and fits better in the case. If you can find H4831SC (short cut) get that instead of the regular, as it will fit better in the case. I haven't been able to try either, yet. H4350 I can't find. I have some H4831, so I'll let you know how that works as soon as I get the chance to test it.

As far as powders that I have actually shot myself, IMR-4831 did very well with 129/130 grain bullets. Rl-19 was a close second. Rl-15 did well with 85 gr. Sierras, and is one that I will try with the heavier bullets as well.

I'll also second the recommendation of Hornady Interlocks. My rifle really seems to like the 129gr version with IMR4831, and I'm looking forward to trying them with H4831. My best accuracy with them and IMR4831 was around the high 2600, low 2700fps range. I think that this bullet at this speed will be a great combo. At around $30 for a 100 count box, you can't beat the price.

My best quick load out of my Model 7 20" barrel was 45.5 grains of W760 behind the 120 grain Sierra pro hunter and the 123 grain Hornady Amax speed of 2850 fps. This was only 1/2 grain under Quickload maximum so you would need to work up to that.

I use H4350 and a 140gr Hornady Interlock.

Not a real flat-shooting load (MV: 2650fps) but good for a variety of critters.

For antelope, you might look at the 120gr Ballistic Tip

I knew you gus would be very helpful. Thank you for some ideas to get me started. Now to find out what is even available out there. I will be sure to report back what I load and how it does. Thanks again!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back