Caribou Gear

Trail Cameras

Montanakid

I was just curious on what you guys' thoughts are on trail cams and if they should be used. In my state of Montana it's illegal to have them up in hunting season for the purpose of "scouting". What do you think?

They're legal in Idaho, and I have a couple, but I'll be the first to admit that they aren't the most effective scouting tool, at least where I hunt. They're kind of like the stock market--past performance is not an indicator of future returns. But, they are a lot of fun seeing what critters are around and what kind of behavior they exhibit.

Lots of fun and they actually have many uses. I've seen the local police use them as well. I've also known ranchers who put them up on gates during hunting season to see if anybody was trespassing. Always exciting to pull a card and look through the pics. I don't have a problem with states allowing their use.

I think not allowing their use during hunting season is a good move. If only in the name of perceived fair chase-iness.

They're legal in Idaho, and I have a couple, but I'll be the first to admit that they aren't the most effective scouting tool, at least where I hunt. They're kind of like the stock market--past performance is not an indicator of future returns. But, they are a lot of fun seeing what critters are around and what kind of behavior they exhibit.

I bought mine with dreams of effective scouting and finally nailing down the habits of big mule deer that exist in my dreams and sheds on the ground, but never in my truck during hunting season. I've found that more often than not, it's just neat to see what shows up on your camera, whatever the animal, and their use as a scouting tool for western game that have large chunks of area to live on is limited. That or I'm just bad at placing my cameras.

I bought mine with dreams of effective scouting and finally nailing down the habits of big mule deer that exist in my dreams and sheds on the ground, but never in my truck during hunting season. I've found that more often than not, it's just neat to see what shows up on your camera, whatever the animal, and their use as a scouting tool for western game that have large chunks of area to live on is limited. That or I'm just bad at placing my cameras.

Pretty much the same for me. I am not worried about seeing the "big one".

For me, it is like Christmas for a 48 year old. Can't wait to see what is on the camera memory stick.

I enjoy them, have 4 and usually have a few up 12 months of the year. Had one situation in 2005 when I was really using cameras hard scouting for elk. Did end up calling in an killing a bull that I had identified from cam photos and was targeting specifically. Have a 3 picture set in my office, 2 cam photos of the bull in a wallow and then the trophy shot.

Lots of fun, always enjoy pulling the card and seeing whats on there,

Trail cameras are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have 9...

Its just fun! Not sure if the cam itself helps me kill elk, but i get to learn a little about the populations of critters using the area. The most important thing for me is that it gets me out in the woods during the summer months, looking at maps, learning an area, trying to find the honey holes to place a cam. That in itself makes me better prepared for hunting season. Its all knowledge, and it never hurts.

I use mine to "scout" new areas for me. I have the places I spend most of my time, and can hang cameras in new places to get an idea on what is there. I have also used them if I find a good animal I want to focus on. I have hung as many as 4 in a small area trying to keep tabs on a good buck.

The place I get the most information is on my bear baits. Gives you the ability to see how many and how big the bears are. Also let's you know just how nocturnal those things can be.

Like has been said, it is like Christmas every time I pull a card. Just never know what you are going to find.

Also you set em and forget em...I just remembered that I have cameras out in 3 states, some have been out since early May... what lies in store on those cameras...

Back