Yeti GOBOX Collection

Do you work away from home?

Agreed. I absolutely love spending time with my family.

Me too. And having off 4-7 months to spend with my family in our lifestyle is better than working 50 weeks a year. Being debt free and no home or land mortgage is another reason.

There's a tipping point between the money and what one gives up for it. mtmuley

That's exactly why I took a manager job and came out of the field. I manage the guys I used to work along side. Took a 25k pay cut but I'm no longer a road whore. I will have to make an occasional trip if we are extremely busy(which happened last September during elk!)

The luxury of working from home everyday vs more money and being gone is a no brainer!

I've never done the travel gig, but in public accounting there were times I was working 80-90 hours/wk for often multiple months. I got to work on a lot of cool clients, some major players in Tech, but I knew I didn't want to try and make partner so I did my 5 years.

I happened to luck into a perfect role, a very dynamic company with very complex accounting issues, a flexible boss and only 40-50hrs/wk. I can count the number of weekends I've worked in the past four years on my fingers and the stress is far lower.

When I was in the Army I spent a lot of time away from home. It was part of the gig and I thought my wife understood that when I went back in after being out for a couple of years. The job market and stability in my areas of experience was crap and I did what I felt I had to do to provide for my family. My sons were very young and thought it was cool to see daddy in his BDUs. When I went to Bosnia I had suspicions that my wife was cheating on me, but couldn't prove it. I got home and everything settled back to normal. A few years later I found out I was going to Iraq. There were lots of arguments and not so fun times leading up to my deployment. So, I deploy and end up getting wounded and coming home early. Well, wasn't I shocked when I get to my home and find another man living there. She wasted no time moving on with her life while living off of my paychecks. That was an easy divorce. Now that I am remarried to a wonderful women, time away from home is different. She fully supports my hunting and fishing and never says a word when I want to take off for weeks at a time as long as I have my inReach with me and she knows I'm safe and OK. She understands I need that time to recharge and reflect, since I've never been 'right' since coming back from Iraq, and usually encourages me to go early and stay late on hunting trips. I've never been with such a supportive woman before and I actually miss her when I'm gone and look forward to coming home.

Im currently a long way from home until mid Apr or so. Work is were the bad guys are, this time its ISIS next time who knows? :)

I couldn't do it.Just not enough money for me to want to miss my kids ball games, or school stuff.I could see doing it to gain experience in a trade,but after that I wouldn't be on the road.I use to work everyday and basically kill myself.To the point where I was shot everyday when I got home.Now I like to take some time with my kids and forget working 7 days a week.I saved a ton of money over the years,but realize I can't bring back the time when my older kids were young.I have 2 younger kids and enjoy being there for everything that's important to them.
I feel bad when I leave to go hunt but they all understand that's my time to relax a little.Don't know how you guys do it for extended time periods.After 10-14 days I'm dying to get back home

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back