Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bridger Mule Deer Movie

MHMT

I am planning on making a short film that discusses the mule deer trends in the Bridger Mountains in MT. In the film, I would like to have opinions/ideas from reputable biologists/hunters/landowners/other people of interest.

I want to explore ideas of the various groups, whether they think current trends are cause for concern or not, and what the state is trying to accomplish with the current management plan.

Eventually I would like to expand the film to include more of the western U.S. where mule deer trends are down, however, due to the fact that I have no money, I will be stuck starting off in the Bozeman area.

I am hoping that some of you may have some recommendations for me? Who should I talk to and what are key questions that should be addressed? I have some ideas but would love to hear other's opinions.

Thanks.

I would start with Dave Pac. I'm sure you know him. He was the FWP biologist for the Bridgers for all of his career, with many collared deer in his decade-long study.

Great to hear! I've hunted the Bridgers since 1988 and caught the end of the "big deer" era. Pat Sinclair (Breaks Runner) was cruising the same haunts as I was in High School and could tell you what it used to be like. Unfortunately not many remember those days and can't relate to what it used to be like.

Mike Frisina, formerly FWP now adjunct at MSU. Carl Wambolt, emeritus professor at MSU. They are some of the more knowledgeable folks in the GYE on winter range habitat issues.

Thanks for the replies! Dave was on my radar, along with a few other names. Reading about the study in the 80's is impressive, they had quite the sample size. It would definitely be interesting to hear about, along with thoughts on current conditions.

Also if anyone has old photos of the Bridger winter range they're willing to share I would be very interested.

Thanks!

You might be able to do some things with historic aerial imagery regarding development and habitat encroachment. Might be tricky to find but I bet it's around and probably cheap to access.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back