wyoming unit 38

PAGOAT

Hi guys I've been reading this site for about 8 months and love reading about hunting the west. Its been fun following everyone hunts. I'm looking to take my dad on a hunt for antelope in Wyoming. Unit 38 has an easy to draw tag but says limited access in the unit. From the maps I've looked at there is a good bit of blm with road access in the north part of the unit that would be a good walk from the road back into the blm. Also south side of the unit seems to have state ground with a road to it ? If anyone has hunted it before and could help it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys. Goat

Not familiar with the unit but make sure the roads are county or state roads. Private roads will show up on maps. Also, not all blm ground will hold pronghorn, some ground is too rugged. Check with a game warden on both the road access and huntable populations of pronghorn. Good luck.

check Wy website and see if theres any walk in areas of hunter management areas in the unit.I've never been to unit 38 so that's the best advice I could give

I have hunted that unit and the exact spot you are talking about and guide for a ranch that has some ground that borders it. There are quite a few two track roads on that blm ground and you will see plenty of trucks on it.

A couple of years ago they combined two other units into unit 38, and it has really increased the hunting pressure in that area. There was always a decent amount of people hunting it, but the units they added into 38 have very minimal public land that is accessible, so everybody seems to flock to that big chunk of blm. If you want to just go kill and antelope, I'm sure you could kill one out there. If you are wanting to kill a nice antelope, I would look elsewhere or try to find a place to pay a trespass fee.

I hunted that area last year. First, I don't think it is an easy tag to draw at least last year it wasn't. Second, like others said the blm ground on the north side gets hit very hard. I went on the last week just to avoid hunters but I am pretty sure I saw more trucks on the 2 tracts there than antelope. I can't imagine what the first week was like. I ended up hunting hard for almost a week. I checked out a lot of the public ground and did a lot of hiking and glassing. I ended up filling my tags on a small piece of state land that I think was overlooked by others. I hunted one of the HMAs but I didn't see anything on it but other hunters.

You can get some antelope there but you will see a lot of other hunters and trucks. There is a lot of blm ground you can glass from your truck. If you want to get out and hike from the road there is not a lot of places to do that or at least that I could find. If you end up getting drawn for the unit send me an PM and I can give you some more info.

You can get some antelope there but you will see a lot of other hunters and trucks. There is a lot of blm ground you can glass from your truck. If you want to get out and hike from the road there is not a lot of places to do that or at least that I could find.

This is why I wouldn't bother with that unit, there is essentially one block of ground and its all drive able. There are tons of leftover units with more sections and especially ones where a chip and a set of boots will put you far away from pressure.

All of my bad experiences antelope hunting involve hunting on foot and then getting cut off or the stalk blown by someone in a vehicle/ATV. If you can minimize that variable you are miles ahead.

Looking at the draw it was 100% draw special tag... I think I will wait and see what left over tags are available for other units and get a point this year. Thanks everyone for the replies and pm's. Yes I'm looking for somewhere to shoot any antelope and be away from the road... horn size is not really that important to me. Goat

Its a great unit and I can give you info on where to go. If you are interested please send me a PM. Plenty of public to hunt. It might take a little hike (less than a mile) but there are plenty of Lope. I helped four buddies hunt that and none of the hunts lasted more than an hour.

Looking at the draw it was 100% draw special tag... I think I will wait and see what left over tags are available for other units and get a point this year. Thanks everyone for the replies and pm's. Yes I'm looking for somewhere to shoot any antelope and be away from the road... horn size is not really that important to me. Goat

PAGOAT, if you don't mind, where did you find info that it was 100% special tags? I found the 2014 Harvest report for that area off the map link but it doesn't list special tags - just type 1 or type 6.

Do they let us know what units will have left over tags right after draw results? I'll be coming a long way so just want to make sure I'll be able to get a left over tag, as this is my first year there.

Do they let us know what units will have left over tags right after draw results? I'll be coming a long way so just want to make sure I'll be able to get a left over tag, as this is my first year there.
Scratch that, I found the answer

Not familiar with the unit but make sure the roads are county or state roads. Private roads will show up on maps. Also, not all blm ground will hold pronghorn, some ground is too rugged. Check with a game warden on both the road access and huntable populations of pronghorn. Good luck.

I can not stress this enough! We hunted in Unit 24 on leftover tags last year. The map shown a lot of state land with some BLM. The BLM was hilly mule deer country and 80-90% of the state land (no exaggeration) was landlocked, even though gps and BLM maps showed road access.

We ended up driving and hiking only a TINY fraction of what was shown as available on BLM maps.

Do not trust ANY road access maps unless the come from the county.

While 38 does not have lots of public, avoiding opening and the last weeks will help. Plan to hunt during the week. Morton Pass HMA may be the only HMA but there is some BLM and G&F land on the north end. The National Forest along Happy Jack rd provides some access also. If it snows this area is great, it is a wintering area. The antelope start piling in when we get the big snows. You will have to be careful of not trespassing. The private landowners have had a rough time with elk and deer [poaching in that unit and are not very hospitable to trespassers. You might get some private access if you run into the right person. Some ranchers will let you access land locked public if you ask right and show respect. Some good bucks in 38 right now with 2 months of horn growth left this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back