Sitka question

MTHunter1321

I've convinced myself that this is the year that I am finally upgrading hunting clothing primarily for the bow season and after some research I think I'll be going with Sitka. I wanted some feedback from folks who use Sitka as to what pieces you would think are essential for bow hunting elk in MT, without breaking the bank too bad. I'm in shape, however, I work up a sweat hunting, no matter the temp and no matter what I have on. The problem I have is that I'll work up a sweat in the dark hiking uphill and then be chilled once I get to elevation and things start to level out a bit. I usually do not tend to sit in one place for very long unless I know there's elk and am wanting something that when I sweat I don't become chilled shortly after once it gets easier. Right now I am leaning towards the Mountain pants, long-sleeved Merino Zip-T, and the Traverse Cold Weather Hoody. Would these pieces be comfortable temps ranging from 20 (early morning beginning to hike) - 50 degrees? Anyone that's more familiar with Sitka than me and has any recommendations would be helpful! Thanks!

I think if you look at the 2016 line I'd probably start with the timberline pants and jacket, the core base layers and the traverse 1/4 zip. The traverse cold weather hoody could be not quite warm enough sometimes, but its close to what you want. I don't see any reason to run the mountain pant over the timberline.

The ascent pants for archery season would be much better. I have both the ascent and timberline. Timberline better for late Oct-Nov.

I agree with Greenhorn. I have both kinds, and wear the timberlines November-March or so, and the Ascents the rest of the year.

I also started always carrying a puffy with me this year, and that helped the cold/hot situation you're talking about. Make yourself take the time to put the puffy on if you're stopping to glass long enough to cool down.

I alternate the mountain pants and the ascent pretty much all of archery season, I would say the mtns are a little heavier but not much. I run cold so I usually layer up pretty good on upper body items most mornings. I get a lot of use out of the traverse tops and the often use a light jacket or vest on top of that to start the day and then shed stuff as needed.

I agree with Greenhorn. I have both kinds, and wear the timberlines November-March or so, and the Ascents the rest of the year.

I also started always carrying a puffy with me this year, and that helped the cold/hot situation you're talking about. Make yourself take the time to put the puffy on if you're stopping to glass long enough to cool down.

I agree with GH and Randy. Puffy coats are great for cool mornings in September. Also, I have the traverse, but would skip it for second heavier merino top, that synthetic stuff can get stinky after a few days. I primarily use the traverse later season.

This is a great time of year to be looking for a puffy coat too, especially if you are ok getting one that isn't camo. Mine is a Patagonia Nanopuff that was purchased on clearance from REI. Also, if I could buy it again I would have gotten the hooded puffy.

Good luck.

I had the early season whitetail pants last year for my WY elk hunt and loved them. I used a merino wool top on the cooler days and one of their synthetic tops (forgot the name) on warmer days. I have a Jetstream Vest and a 90% Jacket and loved them....I did take them on and off a TON due to temp swings and physical activity. I recently bought the mountain pants and I want to add a Kelvin Vest.

Some good deals to be had now. Schnees has 20% off, watch Camofire, and just plain do some Google searches.

One other tidbit, my merino is Smartwool, my buddies use a variety of manufacturers. I don't think Sitka merino is really any better than other stuff on the merino side of things (certainly not any worse either). On the rest of their product line, however, I am a firm believer it is the best out there.

MTHunter - I'm with you and am planning on upgrading some clothing finally. My plan is to go Jet Stream Jacket, Cold Weather Hoodie, Kelvin Vest, Merino top. This should allow for a ton of different combinations depending on the weather/wind. I'm struggling between Timberline/Mt though...most people have been raving about the Timberline.

I use 90% jacket and pants all season from archery till last day of deer.I use baselayers to add warmth on cold days.If you have good baselayer, it should pull the sweat away from your skin.I use Sitka baselayers as well and they do a great job.Only my feet get cold anymore when sitting

I have a ton of Sitka gear and you'll likely find that it comes down to a matter of preference, but they probably make something to please just about everybody.

The Timberlibe pants are my favorite and once you get used to having knee pads you won't like going without them, if you're anything like me.

Spending hundreds of dollars on that over priced, over marketed crap is insane.

You mean how half the hunting world thinks you need at 15K duck boat, a 12K ATV and and $2,500 fiber glass deer stand.

Spending money on good quality clothing is worth every penny and much of it is on sale this month. I use less gear and don't require multiple sets of clothing on extended trips because it dries that quickly.

Doc,
It is expensive. But I looked hard and found mine at prices that were commensurate with other quality hunting clothing (I have paid less than $200 for every piece I have and in the vast majority it has been around $100). I have put a hard season on mine and I cannot find one single place where even one thing is wearing. to each his own. I save money for things like this just like others buy expensive spirits or go to expensive plays. If one looks at his/her lifestyle, most times there is an expensive taste where someone would say that is insane. Sitka will be with me for many years and I wonder, if I divide the price by the use I get out of it, if I would end up pretty cheap in the long run!

I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. At 10k ft, on the trail, with your pack loaded up, there is a huge difference (especially pants wise). Or better yet, after two or three days up in the mountains in Sitka vs. Blue jeans and cotton clothing.

You can find deals and steals, you just have to be patient. At 40% off, its worth every penny.

For early archery, i'd go ascent. Also keep in mind Sitka is designed to be a layering system.

Funny.

My wife told me this morning I needed to spend some money and buy some new clothes for work, etc. because everything was old and cheap. She also pointed out the only time I spend money on nice/quality clothing anymore is when its for hunting.

She's a smart lady.

Better gear lasts longer IMO. Like Randy and GH I go with ascent most of the season then switch to the timberlines or whatever the ones with knee pads are called when it gets colder. I mix and match the baselayers depending on the weather more than my pants.
As far as baselayers I go merino 90% or the time and use a few different brands and save some $$ there. The jetstream vest is great with any kind of midweight top and if you need lightweight warmth find a puffy of any brand that fits your budget.
Overall highest dollar items are pants and a good all around jacket or vest. Everything else I try to save a few bucks and allocate those funds to more tags, etc.

Thanks for the great info everyone. I think I have a pretty good idea of where I should start. It's just a shame that I have 6 more months before I can really break it in.

Over marketed, maybe. But no more than several other similar companies out there now. But over priced crap? Please let me know what's better, AND cheaper.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back