Taking a new hunter turkey hunting

So if I go hunt in Wyoming I have to track that thing down and probably order a new one?

Yes. CO, too. I almost got a ticket 2 years ago in Wyoming. I always carry my hunter safety card in the console of my truck, but for some reason it wasn't in there and the game warden came into camp one afternoon. He checked my license and asked for my card and I tore the truck apart and couldn't find it. The only proof I had of hunter safety was my fishing/small game combo license from CO with my hunter safety number on it. He said he could write me a ticket, but will cut me a break this time and next time I come up to make sure I have my card. I said OK and apologized like crazy. Then I gave him a cup of coffee and he pulled out a map and showed us where he's been seeing antelope. All in all, it could have been ugly, but I lucked out. In Colorado, even residents need to carry their cards unless you go to a DPW office and have your card verified, then you get a V next to the number on your license and don't have to carry it anymore.

Last edited:
In MN, the firearms safety certificate is an endorsement on our driver's license and the number is the same. My DL serves as my firearms safety card so that makes things easy. I was born in 1979 so I am usually exempt in most states also, but I still took the class and I would still recommend it for the average person, especially those who did not grow up in a hunting family.

In MN, the firearms safety certificate is an endorsement on our driver's license and the number is the same. My DL serves as my firearms safety card so that makes things easy. I was born in 1979 so I am usually exempt in most states also, but I still took the class and I would still recommend it for the average person, especially those who did not grow up in a hunting family.

Thats a great way to do it, I wish Va handled it that way.

Back