Hunt Talk banned at work?

Joe Hulburt

I tried to log on to Hunt Talk today on my break on my work computer and got a warning that this site is banned due to weapons or some such nonsense. I work for the Dept of Fish and Wildlife and it is within our policies to access the internet on breaks and all other websites I tried worked. Anybody else get the same message? Any idea what the hell they are talking about?

Our firewall blocks some sites related to firearms but not others. I typically can't access gun maker websites, etc, but forums are usually okay. I'd tell you to talk to your network admin but Hunt Talk probably isn't work related.

I've had other people tell me the same thing. Someone told me that one public wi-fi service at a library and another at an airport blocks Hunt Talk.

Not trying to advocate breaking workplace policies but there are tons of VPN apps and proxy websites you can use to access blocked sites. Hola for instance is a VPN app you can install in google chrome and use to access blocked sites.

Why not just use your smart (cell) phone? :)

Normally I do. Today I didn't and I find it ridiculous that a wildlife agency would ban this web sight due to "weapons". This is one of the most solid hunting websites going......if that is unacceptable I figure we are in serious trouble. I'll look into it more...

Normally I do. Today I didn't and I find it ridiculous that a wildlife agency would ban this web sight due to "weapons". This is one of the most solid hunting websites going......if that is unacceptable I figure we are in serious trouble. I'll look into it more...

I agree, I was just giving you grief... :) My guess is the I/T guys just subscribe to a list and this site is on that list. Blame Randy...LOL

I was watching a basket ball game in the Moffat, Colorado Highschool. I could read HuntTalk on my cell phone for about ten minutes and then when I went to check it later I was blocked and there was some stuff about guns as an excuse. Jeesh. :rolleyes:

Most Gov. agencies block some sites from viewing, girls, guns,games.....for a reason.

I used to see some of my supposed co workers sit at a puter all day playing games and such .....dead weights.

Not that HT is edgy,
but they block potential for most access to un-pc stuff..... violence in the work place,sexism,etc...but sounds like that is what F&W is doing and they just cut off a tool for you to use.....like F&G not able to view a hunting website to see what is going on in the not real world....
from what I have seen they should block SS,FBI,Congress from viewing due to overuse of non pc sites...

I am active on many hunting websites at work, and the only one that gets blocked out is Huntin Fool. But that's not so bad, their grooms aren't very active.

Last year I had to go to the library to use the computer to apply for my Wyoming elk tag because my computer was down found out at the library the Wyoming Game and Fish website was blocked due to what they called bloodsport. had to borrow a laptop from my son to apply.

Oops

Tried to type "forums" in previous post but hijacked by my iPhone spell check.

Just my own opinion. I'd stay off HT at work. A great many orgs these days have the ability to track internet usage/activity/ etc...

Recently, our CIO shared an article with us highlighting how this technology is being used by companies across the country to identify the man-hours lost to Facebook, different sites, etc. The hours were significant. His message to us was, "Let's not be one of these organizations."

I'd be lying if I said I didn't access HT at work, but I only do so on my iPhone.

As an employer, I'd be pissed if my employees were surfing the net on my nickel. Unless it was what *I* deemed job-related.

Here's the warning our system displays. By default, it had blocked the site entirely. Its policy was changed to warn and log instead. I think these site categorizations come from centralized lists online that security systems reference. If the admin isn't fine-tuning settings to permit sites like this that don't really fit that broad-brush categorization, it'll probably remain blocked.

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 11.42.00.jpg

Back