how many days

If you have a week then use the weekend days to drive and hunt the weekdays and travel home over the weekend. The locals will be all over the place on the weekend and the lopes might even be a little skittish on Monday, so you might get the good hunting starting on Tuesday.

I always try to allow about three full hunting days so I don't feel rushed. We are usually done on day one or two. Use the first day to cover a lot of area to see what the unit has to offer and maybe luck into a nice one. Then use the second day to concentrate on the area you found on day one that hold the best antelope.

I have only hunted goats twice ( a doe in CO and a buck in WY). The longer of the two was 1/2 day. They were both set up as weekend hunts. The doe was a no brainer to get the first mature female. On the buck I passed a few but couldn't wait anymore. Not the biggest but at just over 70 for my first I am pretty happy. He was an opening day buck. Shot him 45 min in. By the end of the day the goats were on the move for sure. :) I was drinking beer and shooting p-dogs by 0930 :)

Honestly if I was hunting Wyoming antelope this year with the October 1 opener on Saturday I would take off Friday and leave the Midwest Thursday after work and drive through the night and scout Friday and have a Monday/Tuesday scheduled as vacation day and go into work those days if i'm back by then. Everyday I save on vacation could add another 3 day weekend a few states away for another trip.

We've always gone for 6-10 days. But we usually have 4 guys, doe tags, and deer tags. I see the OP is from IL too. I hate driving 14 hours west just to feel like I'm turning right around to head home. Depending on the number of tags you have, you can stretch it out.

This year we had 4 deer tags and 4 antelope tags and filled them by day 7. That was in a pretty low pressure area.

4 can surely be enough though.

I think a lot of it is about minimizing wasted time in transit and doing nothing but hunting or scouting once I'm there. Hotels in transit are wasted time, hanging around camp midday or not starting to hunt until 9 am is a wasted time, fishing or taking pictures at devil's tower is wasted time if it means there could have been a day I was on another hunt. Having done it a couple of times an antelope hunt with a rifle doesn't really stand on its own as a week long expedition even 15 hours driving away.

4 days to actually hunt are good but may rush you a bit. Just depends on where your hunting and what you hope to harvest. Also, depends if you want to use doe tags etc.

Our most recent trip (2015) we allowed 5 days but were done with buck tags in 3 days. 3 tagged on Day #2 and I held out for my biggest to date until Day #3. This allowed plenty of time to trout fish some blue ribbon streams and explore the countryside.

However, 3 of the 4 ate doe tags because they wanted to have more time to fish etc.

So, it just depends on your desires. The way I look at it Id rather have too much time than not enough

Back