Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First MT Black Bear

Chad1754

The past two hunting seasons I've hunted black bear here in Montana in both the spring and fall season. I havent had any difficulty finding bears the problem is it always ends up being a Sow with cubs or a young bear. Yesterday that all changed, we hiked about a mile back and set up on a rock ridge over looking a huge valley. On the way to our spot we didnt encounter any bear sign at all but I knew this place had a pretty big bear population in past years. After a half hour of glassing and not seeing anything I began blowing on my Reese Outdoors "Jack on Crack" hand call. I called for roughly 30 seconds and waited 2 mins while glassing the area for movement. I began calling again for about 30 seconds and set the call back down. Shortly after that my hunting buddy told me "Chad! theres a bear right below us" I quickly found the bear in my scope and dropped him at 56 yards with my 7mm Rem Mag. The bear is a beautiful chocolate phase and measures exactly 5 feet from nose to tail and estimated weight is around 250lbs. I couldnt be any happier with my first black bear and the performance of Reese Outdoors hand calls. I've already had some idiot point out that I need orange on while hunting black bears in the state of Montana and fully know the rules and regulations. My orange vest was worn while hunting and removed while taking pictures so I didnt have the cheap $3 orange garbage bag vest ruin a great picture.

Nice looking bear Mr. Chad. That sure doesn't look like country anywhere near Stockett though. :)
Congrats on getting a really nicely furred color phased bear.

I bet that was a rush!!!! Nice bear. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys after I skinned the bear the official measurement was 5'2". I work for a taxidermist on the side and he said it was a really good bear. I wish we would have weighed it but I know it was at least a 250 lb bear. Bigsky your right it wasn't in the Stockett area lol we do have one over the hill here that is big though. Thanks again everyone.

Chad, what a great looking bear! How cool was it to get a shot 56 yards! A bear hunt is something I'd like to do in the future! Thanks for sharing your great hunt.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back