elk roast

Cook it long and slow in a slow cooker. If you can't pull it apart with a fork you haven't cooked it long enough.

No good recipes to share. My wife doesn't like anything spicy so we just add potatoes, carrots and a few onions and a little water. Pretty straight forward.

1 package of Lipton onion soup
I can cream of mushroom soup
Can full of burgundy or other red wine

Brown the roast with a little oil in a Dutch oven, dump everything else in and cook slowly till it falls apart. If you want add new red potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms in the last hour or so

Same as npaden, only sear each side on a hot skillet first, add a little red wine, 2 basal leaves, and some onion soup mix in with the water and veggies. Great stuff.

campbells make a slow cooker sauce packet, I think its called tavern roast its a liquid sauce. You cook the roast in a crockpot and its got a hella good brown gravy ready to go already.... I do add just a bit of flour to thicken the sauce to a thicker gravy.... I'm not a big roast guy and I could eat that everyday.

If you want to take the time and like complex dishes, this is a great recipe. I've made it twice with much more food than I thought my guests could consume and never had any leftovers. Several were very skeptical of eating any type of game meat until they tasted it. The great thing is you can use some of the cuts that are difficult to make an appetizing dish when cooked whole but are too tender to waste as burger.

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/julia-childs-beef-bourguignon/f7e0a6c5-710d-4c83-89a6-2a4936fec81a

If you want quick, simple and tasty, place some kosher salt, black pepper corns, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and fresh basil in a food processor and blend it into a paste. Make a sufficient quantity to make a crust over one entire side of your roast. Put your roast on a rack in Dutch oven or other roasting pan and cook at 325 in your oven until rare (135 degrees on a meat thermometer). You must cook to rare or your roast will be tough as boot leather if you overcook it. Lift off the crust and serve it on the side to dissolve into plate juices for a tasty dip. The crust is too salty for most people's taste to eat it straight up.

There are dozens of variations with minor differences, but if it is a good cut I brown it and then cook it at 325 for about 20 min/pound until medium rare or so.

If it is a shoulder or other tough cut I slow cook it with moist heat until fork tender. Meateater has a good video on the basic technique (you can use lower heat for longer, etc). http://themeateater.com/videos/a-rinella-recipe-venison-blade-roast/

Last edited:
Cook the blood out first. 4 hours in a crock pot on low is about right. Remove roast. Dump everything else and replace with stew seasoning or boullion mixture and vegetables. Cook on low another 4 hours.

Roast

Thanks guys I'm given it a try tonight in the slow cooker, with diced tomatoes, green chili pepper, spices and some beans. Meat has been browned with alittle bacon grease. It will stay in the slow cooker for the next 6 hours. I drained all the blood out of the roast for the past two days. I'll give updates. With all the ideas you guys have given me I'll be good with recipes for a couple of months thanks.

Put it in a slow cooker with a jar of Victoria brand CHunky Green Chili Salsa and a few chopped onions and let it cook until you can pull it apart with a fork. Serve with Tortillas and cilantro.. or scramble with eggs. Makes great Chili Verde.

Just like my beef roast. I like to marinate/soak in wine and spices,drain,save.
Roast elk as you would beef,350 til 165 inside,remove to rest.
Take drippings/marinade & add wild cherry jam or preserves and cook down to reduction sauce and pour over slices...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mary Sloan’s Thanksgiving standard is my favorite elk recipe, bar none. Warning. It is slow food.–B.L.
Blackened Elk Roast
3-5 lb. roast
1 c. vinegar
2 c. strongly brewed coffee
2 c. water
1/2 c. whiskey
Garlic
Onion
Cooking oil
Salt and pepper
With knife, cut slits halfway into meat. Insert slivers of garlic
(and onion if you like). Put roast in glass bowl. Pour vinegar over
it and into slits. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Next day, discard vinegar solution, put meat in heavy roasting pan.
Brown in oil until nearly burned on both sides. Pour coffee over roast, add water and whiskey,cover and cook slowly on simmer for about 6 hours atop of stove.
Do not season until 20 minutes before serving (if then), add salt and
pepper only.
The gravy may be thickened or left as is.
Enjoy.

1 package of Lipton onion soup
I can cream of mushroom soup
Can full of burgundy or other red wine

Brown the roast with a little oil in a Dutch oven, dump everything else in and cook slowly till it falls apart. If you want add new red potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms in the last hour or so

I wonder what percentage of the best wild meat harvested is abused so horribly each year. A shame.

Back