Reloading .270 Weatherby Mag

BAGGEMandTAGGEM

I just bought a .270 Weatherby Mag and want to reload it. I'm trying to decide between the Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, or the Barnes TTSX. Either 140gr or 150gr. I plan to hunt deer and elk with the same load. So a few questions. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with these bullets? What powder would you recommend and why? Are any of these accurate out to 500 yards? Do they still expand fast enough at close ranges? Im new to reloading so any feedback would be great.

I had a 270wby for a bit, it is a smoking hot rifle that IMO does best with a mono. 3,400fps is normal for a 130gr (most common in .277). I'd look at RL19/22, 7828SSC, H1000 or any other magnum powder.

Do they still expand fast enough at close ranges?

The more accurate question is, will they not disintegrate at close ranges, which is why I'd stick with a mono.

I've shot the Accubond and Interbonds out of my 7mmRemMag. They performed excellent on deer at ranges up to 300...never shot anything farther than that. IMO all of those bullets will do better at close range than standard cup-and-core bullets because they tend to be tougher and at potentially 3200fps you'll want tough.

I quick look at some reloading manuals online shows H7828 or H1000 would be good for both weights. Those are proven powders and are not particularly temperature sensitive. I would pick H7828SCC (short cut grains) for ease of metering

Nosler Lists VihtaVouri N560 as the most accurate powder with a 140gr slug, and RL 25 As the most Accurate with a 150gr slug. Those would be two others to consider.

I Love the Nosler Accubond as a Hunting Bullet. I've taken game out to 495yds with Accobonds, and have proven accuracy on steel with Accubonds out past 800yds. IMHO if you can keep the Impact velocities between 3100fps down to 2000fps you should be good to go.

I love the Barnes TSX bullets. They are the only bullets I shoot now. I shoot them in my .338 Win, Mag. .300 Ultra Mag., and .300 Short Action Ultra Mag. They are accurate and I have never had one come apart. I really like the Reloader 22 powder for my hot loads but I can't even find that any more. Luckily I have 3 or 4 pounds set back.

No experience with the barnes but between the two bonded ones, the accubond mushroom will be smaller as they "peel" back compared to the interbond and therefore penetrate deeper usually. The interbond generally makes a very big mushroom. We tested both in gelatin and other media when my dad was choosing a 7 mag bullet. Usually the partition would get the nod but he wanted a change.

Here is a 154gr .284 interbond shot through wood, water jug then 10% gelatin at a chrono'd 3,050 fps. Mushroom measured .800". I will find an accubond to post.

Attachments

• 123635.jpg
    123635.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 123700.jpg
    123700.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 591
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to start with the Accubond 140gr and see how it shoots. Now all I have to do is find a store with powder.

I roll with the 140 gr Accubonds and 70gr of 7828ssc

White death rockets are crazy accurate over 3200 fps through mine.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to start with the Accubond 140gr and see how it shoots. Now all I have to do is find a store with powder.

Isn't that the story of the year? I can find any component but powder now...

well powder that will work for what I shoot...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back