Yeti GOBOX Collection

Middle Fork Zone B Tag

worm

My buddy and I purchased Middle Fork Zone B tags this weekend. We will be packing into the wilderness with 5 mules. As of right now we are leaning on unit 20A. Looks like some rough country to get into. This will be our first time elk hunting in Idaho but we can't wait until September 15th gets here. We also plan on doing a scouting trip over Labor Day weekend. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

5 years ago I had that tag.

I hunted close to Big Creek right around September 20th for a week. Very neat, but very big country. Hard to cover ground, wish I could be of more help with the elk locale. I would definitely scout if you can.

One of the toughest areas to hunt. The tag will be worth the adventure and scenery though, especially if you get a shot on a wolf. High meadows surrounded by Goat country are always a good bet, but there will be a lot of empty ones it that country.

I cut my teeth in those unit's. Enjoy the adventure its beautiful country. In the end we did give up hunting our favorite spots because of low animal density about 10 years ago. Not that there were no elk in the area it just became very hard after years of always being in animals every day to struggling to find one every year and knowing there were greener pastures else where. This was pre wolf hunt so a sighting was more of a reason to leave then to stay. Nowadays I often think about going back to that hunt with a wolf tag.
Where we hunted it was more rocky than timbered hillsides and I always seemed to have the best luck in thick jungle like creek bottoms in September.
If you feel like you're covered up by wolves don't get discouraged just pick up and move to a different drainage for a few days.

Tagged,

We are doing the same hunt this year. I plan on being there the entire early season. I will also have a deer tag.

I've been hunting the wilderness here in Oregon for the past couple years and will be hunting it again the first 2 weeks of Sept. I would suggest spending some time this spring with a heavy pack on your back doing some conditioning, especially if you haven't hunted in rugged steep country before.

The burn areas in the south end of unit 27 that I have been into are doing pretty good with Deer, but it still took 3 days to find bucks in the one spot. Nice Bucks when you find them though.

I saw quite a few good bulls while sheep and goat hunting in the Crags. Though nothing really big, a handful of 300 class bulls.

Tough country.

Thanks for the comments and advice and pointers. I will keep you guys posted.

Which side are you accessing the wilderness from? We accessed it from the Middle Fork/Stoddard Bridge one year. Good Lord is it steep and rough!

I've hunted both units 26 and 27-1 for sheep and elk. I'll tell you what I know by PM if those areas are on your prospect list.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back