Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Garmin GPS

The on x can't do birds eye? Cuz I found some good looking wallows in real dark timber on google earth and I don't know if I can find them without birds eye and does the other ones show block management?

I bought a Garmin 62ST last year for hunting Mule Deer in the Sierra Nevada's and love it. From everything I have seen so far it is rugged and effective. It comes pre-loaded with generic topos of all 50 states which are not awesome but get the job done while also accepting chips if you want more detail/land ownership boundries.

They run $500 at Cabelas as stated above but I got mine off the internet for $280 shipped, have all seen re-furbished models in the $230's

http://www.gpsnation.com/p/garmin-g...HOUR9zUBN1tX_uo0tKXkurHSJpXx4bS5jxRoCF2Pw_wcB

I would be very, very, very cautious with the Garmin Hunt View maps.

Please read here to see two examples for MT in prime elk and mule deer areas.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/onxmaps-hunt-garmin-hunt-view-comparison

You also don't have hunting units, block management areas, most comprehensive roads and trails data, and much, much more.

Also at this time we have not seen any mention of Garmin offering any updates for these maps.

We are dedicated to these maps and hunters so take that for what it's worth.

If you want aerial imagery use the free version of our Hunt App on your phone. Or if you are a RMEF member sign up and get the full membership for free with the land ownership.

...Or if you are a RMEF member sign up and get the full membership for free with the land ownership.

This caught my attention as I have not tried the phone app though have been an RMEF member for some time. Great promo for both RMEF and OnXmaps.

Here is a link to the info for RMEF members as well as those who have been interested in joining the RMEF to add a bonus for the phone app and take a look at the OnXmaps abilities.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1405030355961nt7gm5fz

I've not gone through to gain the promo code - just yet so if this is dated material, give a heads up. I plan to do this once I am home where my phone has signal to DL the app.

I have the 450t as well. It is really easy to use and gives a good detail of the area. I love the function to take a picture and it loads the way point right to it. I know it has easy sharing of way points never used this function but may be useful if you hunt with buddies and tell them to go to this spot and can just share the points. I never had a problem with my batteries when hunting they would last all day for me. But I was not in the mountains rather in the badlands I am not sure how the reception differences can be in the battery usage. But like stated above carry extra batteries, I also have a small solar charger that works pretty well for $25 bucks off amazon.

Jamen

When I get my onx montana chip updated, does it now show block management land ? If so how does it show the different levels of bm restrictions ?
John

Yes it will show BMA areas we update them every year. It will list on the screen what type of BMA it is. Take a look at this shot from my computer with a neighboring Type 2 and Type 1 BMA.

Attachments

• BMA.jpg
    BMA.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 423
I want to commend Matt at onXmaps he sent me the link personally and I was able to do a better comparison of the 2 products. For what I am looking for 1) Aerial overlay on my GPS, I wilderness hunt and spike camp so I am not able to charge a cell phone so the aerial photos on an app wouldn't help me out in the field.

Like I mentioned before both products look great and I will give a full review when I get my chip. Again thank you Matt you and your company seem like standup people.

There are a few good ones out there as mentioned in prior posts. Just depends on your budget and what you need. I picked up the 62s for$200 from Cabelas turning one of their sales and it does everything I need it for and then some.....:cool:

If using a Garmin in MT, you should take a look here ......... http://gpsmapsmontana.com/shop/

The bundle includes landowner, topo, fishing, Block Management, GMUs and forest cover for $55. I bought his maps a few years back and they're great. I typically use my smartphone as a GPS, but I like his BMA overlays enough that I use my Garmin specifically for these areas.

Garmin Rino, to buy or not to buy?

I've been trying to do some research on the various Rino models. It would appear that that they've stopped production on the 610 model. The next option is the 650. I was leaning more towards the 610 because of it's cost. I currently have an Etrex and have no issues with it. The guys that I'll be hunting with in Idaho this fall suggested we get a Rino so that we can track and communicate with each other. The mapping software for the units seems quite costly as well. Is there anyway that we can all split the cost of the software and share it, or is it preloaded onto a micro card? Any and all input is appreciated.

John

Interesting thread, so for all guys responding here do you feel that technology has come to the point that you can take extra batteries and take off without a compass? Outside of emergencies does not seem that you would use it much Do all mainly focus on using GPS and compass as strictly emergency use?

Interesting thread, so for all guys responding here do you feel that technology has come to the point that you can take extra batteries and take off without a compass? Outside of emergencies does not seem that you would use it much Do all mainly focus on using GPS and compass as strictly emergency use?

I have a compass as a backup, but if someone doesn't know how to use it on the paper maps they have then it's a basically a waste of time/item.

I mainly use my GPS so I have a good feeling of what land I am on. I am usually only a mile or 2 from roads so I don't (knock on wood) get lost/turned around much.

I went with the 600 Mt because of the screen size. I like it and the rechargeable batteries last a good day plus it will take regular batteries as a back up. The on X maps are invaluable when near private property.
Dan

I use the Garmin 62s and run the MT Trax chip in it. You can also run the Birds Eye Imaginary on the 62s. The Trax chips are very similar to the other chips and show all the contours and land ownership/phone#'s also shows you all the BMA's, BLM, State lands, and Forest service. You cant run the contour map and the Birds Eye at the same time though. The Chips are made in Fargo ND from Kirsch Outdoor products the are $99 for a single state or you can buy a region for like $250.00 which would include multiple states. I think the Western one is the States of ND, MT, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada. If I remember correctly.

Sorry for replying to an old post....but this is great info for a newbie. I really am pleased with this site, and, if you're new like I am, use that search feature to death. So much great info here...thank you everyone!

Another vote for the Etex 20 with OnX chip- I bought it because I wanted a GPS model that does exactly what I want and very little more. Nothing worse than messing around with electronics when you should be hunting.

I also have the original Rino- was nice, but started to pick up satellite more and more slowly. Its now my backup unit and radio (radios on Rinos are awesome, I do like that part of them).

I have a Garmin 62s, love it! It cost a little more but if you wait for black Friday, usually Cabelas will have them on sale. A cheaper but still nice unit made by Garmin is the etrax. It will run you around $150. What every you get I'd make sure you can use a micro sd chip in it and get OnXMap. This information really changed the way I hunt and I'm sure many other people.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back