MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My Texas Mule Deer

AustinL

The past weekend was the last weekend of our mule deer season here in Texas.

My dad and I were sitting on a point glassing a big canyon and were just about to call it for the morning when I spotted this buck on the rim of the canyon somewhere between 800 and 1,000 yards as the crow flies. After watching him on the ridge we decided that we needed to try and make a move as soon as he went out of sight. The buck eased over the ridge and out of sight and the foot race was on we dropped down our side of the canyon and across the bottom then started our ascent back up the other side. As we neared the top we slowed down to survey and catch our breath. we slowly started making our way to where we saw him cross the other side.

We were about 125 yards from where we last saw him when a doe appeared on the ridge and we got down to see what would happen and avoid spooking her. After a few minutes of her browsing in front of us the buck could not stand it any longer and climbed up onto the ridge offering a perfect 125 yard broadside shot.

Getting to share the entire hunt with my dad made it all the more special. We hunt together on the same property all the time but it is not often we are together like that for a stalk.

He is not a Giant by western standards but is a very nice buck for our area. The lack of rear forks seems to be a genetic trait which we see quite a bit of.

Attachments

• 2014 muley 3.JPG
    2014 muley 3.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 807
  • 2014 muley 7.JPG
    2014 muley 7.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 805
  • 2014 muley 10.JPG
    2014 muley 10.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 822
Nice buck!

About 1/2 way through the 9 day season I found out that we had a mule deer buck only season here in Lubbock county this year.

I ended up hunting a couple evenings and 3 or 4 mornings, could have shot a forky as it walked by 150 yards in front of my house with a few does, but nothing big this year on my place now that there is a season for them.

Did see a nice whitetail and it sounds like they might open up a season for buck only whitetail next year so that would be cool.

Congrats again.

Yeah I saw back in October that they opened Lubbock, hale and a few other counties their we're several monsters I know of killed between Abernathy and hale center. I also know of some spots with monsters out near the lake and in the canyon by Slaton just access is the key. My buck came off our family place in Fisher co.

Yeah I saw back in October that they opened Lubbock, hale and a few other counties their we're several monsters I know of killed between Abernathy and hale center. I also know of some spots with monsters out near the lake and in the canyon by Slaton just access is the key. My buck came off our family place in Fisher co.

I live on 60 acres on the canyon north of Slaton. I have gotten some pictures of some really good bucks in the past but didn't even know about the season until too late this year.

Here's some that I had on camera in previous years, never set anything up this year although we were seeing one decent buck, nothing huge this year.

lbuck1a.jpg

lbuck1c.jpg

lbuck2a.jpg

Going to work a lot harder on getting in some food plots and security cover for the future!

Back