Yeti GOBOX Collection

Unlimited Hunt

Opps! Misspelled Gray's name. Sorry.

No i didn't, can you give us a quick summary of the how the hunt went given its been on the radar for quite a while for me to do and i am pretty keen to learn as much as i can about just how feasible it would be to attempt it.

No i didn't, can you give us a quick summary of the how the hunt went given its been on the radar for quite a while for me to do and i am pretty keen to learn as much as i can about just how feasible it would be to attempt it.
Tough hunt, in tough country, resulting in a 13 year old heavy broomed bighorn trophy of a lifetime. Best to read the article to get an appreciation of what to expect on an unlimited hunt. I can't find any links on the web to the story.

You need to join WSF to get the magazine.
http://www.wildsheepfoundation.org/

Thanks for the links, ill take a look, guess its that ram in the back pack, looks like one heck of a ram for the unlimited units. Congrats.

I read up on the unlimited hunts a few years ago. In one or more of the units, you set up on the border with a park and wait to see if a legal ram ventures to your side of the ridge. For units with legal rams, outfitters will attempt to set up on the ram waiting for opening morning. If that seems like your style of hunt and you want to hunt sheep then this is the least expensive way to hunt a bighorn every year (until you get one then have a waiting period).

I was drawn for an aoudad hunt on state land in Texas so that is my only ram hunt. Was nasty country for free range with plenty or sharp things to jab you and steep stuff to tumble down. I did a ewe hunt in Colorado and was memorable at high altitude though was more of a shoot after I had done my preparation prior to the hunt so knew where to seek the ewes.

The more I write this, the more I might check the Unlimited box in the next year or two. Damn you Hunt Talk and all your great topics during off season.

One other bit of news from the article. Wyoming is looking into some sort of unlimited hunt for sheep and goats. Not sure how that's going to work, but something worth following.

One other bit of news from the article. Wyoming is looking into some sort of unlimited hunt for sheep and goats. Not sure how that's going to work, but something worth following.

Any bet it will be in a wilderness area?

Who's pushing it?

The nature of an "unlimited" tag pretty much dictates a necessity of difficult access, so yes, it will be in wilderness. I don't think there is a specific push by the outfitting industry. They already get the vast majority of non-res sheep hunters, and I'm guessing a number of residents as well.

Area that would make most sense would be adjacent to the Park and Montana's unlimited areas. High mountain wilderness, a long way from the trailheads. Doubt the good Wyoming sheep outfitters would be much in favor of this idea.

Give guy's opportunity and they complain. Limit guy's opportunity and they complain. I think some guy's just like to complain.

Not sure where read but there was some domestic sheep that mingled with bighorns now there is a die off in a bighorn herd that sometimes wanders into one of the unlimited units. Hope am wrong about this impacting the viability of one or more of the unlimited units in MT.

Not sure where read but there was some domestic sheep that mingled with bighorns now there is a die off in a bighorn herd that sometimes wanders into one of the unlimited units. Hope am wrong about this impacting the viability of one or more of the unlimited units in MT.

Different unlimited area then what is being discussed in this thread.

Sheep Die-Off

BigHorn I did read the hunt about Gray. What an awesome experience. I have noticed in some of these threads that you have been successful congrats to you on that. I have been looking at doing the hunt for a few years now with lots of research on the different districts and listening to guys that have done it as well as reading threads like this one. One district I am leaning towards is the Gardiner Unit 303 good rams but the die-off this year is incredible. I know a guy that lives in the area and he has killed a couple sheep in there as well and he told me the fish and game hauled out 14 dead rams the other week. Any truth to that? i wouldn't mind doing the 500 or 501 tag but this year I don't have anyone to do it with or that I would hunt those units with and feel comfortable. My usual hunting partner is a guide in AK so he will be up in the bush come game time. Not looking for any intell I guess on spots more curious about the die-off situation.
Thanks

Back