Caribou Gear Tarp

2015 antelope season

boutdoors

While everyone is talking about which unit will be the easiest to draw, I think there is a much bigger question. What is going to happen with the quotas for next year for each unit? 2014 saw a big cut in quotas, will they be maintaining those cuts or are they going to increase the quotas to where they were before? 2014 was difficult for some myself included as units were cut way back on doe and fawn tags, some by as much as 75%. When will they release the 2015 quotas? Will they do it before the application deadline? That is one thing that will determine where people will apply for. Any input on this would be helpful. Thanks to all that help those that need the help in understanding the myrad of regs and rules each state seems to have access to hunt

WOW,did not see we had till June to apply.
I sure like how Wyoming does non resident elk apps. Apply in January and notified by end of February . Lets you plan the rest of the year . Thank you Wyoming !

Rooster52,

That early elk app seems like a good idea.

Reality is that NR's get screwed many times on it because elk quotas aren't set until after the NR draw.

Meaning that, in many cases, NR's get shorted LQ tags, sometimes not even being able to apply for new units/unit segments.

I have heard talk out of Cheyenne, of going to one application date for all species for both R and NR's. It makes sense to do so, since quotas will be set and NR's will get their full cut of LQ NR elk tags.

Early Elk apps suck in my opinion. If you look at the tentative seasons they don't break out additional dates for type tags such as multiple type 6 dates. Most don't change but it's still a gamble. There is at least one hunt that has a tentative starting date that is the 15th that has always been changed to the 1st. Another gamble.

I see what you mean. I forgot that quotas are not set till late spring.One combigned date for both resident and non resident does make more sense. Would be more fair in the draw.Will be watching for any change in future.
Thanks for the replies.

Any idea if they'll give out more antelope tags?

I doubt the quotas will go up much. There was good fawn recruitment, pretty much state-wide, and so far...knock on wood....we've had a very mild winter.

I think it will be another couple years before any significant quota increases will happen, assuming we have favorable recruitment/conditions.

Winter hasn't even started yet. First day of winter is this coming Sunday.

When did the application deadline get pushed back so far? I was also thinking the deadline would be in March.

You've always been able to change your app thru May. Well after the quotas came out.

People just didn't talk about it.

You don't live in Laramie, Winter starts here the first Sunday after Labor Day...:W:

:D I remember checking the weather every day on my iPhone back in September for Sheridan, since we were headed there in October. In mid September, even before the first day of fall, the weather app on my phone showed a "Winter Storm Warning" for Sheridan, Wyoming. I couldn't believe it... still summer yet they're referring to it as a winter storm!

So yeah Buzz, maybe you're right.

:D I remember checking the weather every day on my iPhone back in September for Sheridan, since we were headed there in October. In mid September, even before the first day of fall, the weather app on my phone showed a "Winter Storm Warning" for Sheridan, Wyoming. I couldn't believe it... still summer yet they're referring to it as a winter storm!

So yeah Buzz, maybe you're right.

Buzz is more than right on that! It snowed a foot up in elk unit 45 where I went out early before my hunts started to help a guy on an archery elk hunt and it was 5 degrees one morning the second week of September when it hit!!!

I have hunted in some awful weather in Wyoming,hopeing by going in archery season this year I can escape that white stuff.

I have hunted in some awful weather in Wyoming,hopeing by going in archery season this year I can escape that white stuff.

Go prepared for anything or a guy could be in deep dodo! On my trip this time we had that low of 5 degrees and a high of 93! That was by far the biggest temperature extreme I've seen in the 20+ years I've been going out there and I've only missed 3 or 4 years in that time span.

I just pack everything when I go to Wyoming. Sunny and t-shirts one day. Sideways snow the next.
Pretty much sums up my experience with Wyoming.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back